This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

In all honesty, I don’t know what direction I want to take this article. All I know is that whatever you are going through… you can get through it. 

Here’s a reminder that every person you see has something going on in their lives. It’s not important whether or not what someone else is going through seems small or large in comparison to your situation. If it affects them or you, then it matters. You see, the size of the problem does not directly decide the size of the emotions it invokes. Please… just be kind to one another. Smile at those you make eye contact with while walking around campus or ask someone how their day is. If someone comes to you and asks for you to listen, just listen. For the person who you think of as a mere study buddy or peer, you could be one of the few people they consider as a friend. 

Courtesy of Pixabay

Today, I was at the store and I watched a woman getting advised to buy some fancy, expensive toner. The woman had a look of awe at the price tag once the employee walked away. I kind of crept by and noticed she was basically holding witch hazel in a fancy bottle with flowers on it. I told her she could buy essentially the same product for a quarter of the price in wound care. She was grateful I said something and kept thanking me as I wished her a good rest of her day. I also reached out to a friend I haven’t talked much to in about two years today because I saw he posted something troubling. He felt the need to go out of his way to express his gratitude for me simply reaching out to ask how he was doing. He told me so few people have asked him how he was recently and that made me so upset. We really take people for granted. 

I am about to be really vulnerable here. I have a feeling I am going to regret this, but here it goes… last week, I didn’t leave my house for two days and skipped all, but three classes total. I didn’t go to the gym and I didn’t eat for over 24 hours. I was not okay and I hope by sharing this, at least someone out there will realize it is okay not to be okay sometimes. Even today I found it hard to get out of bed, but I did and I did it for myself. That was an accomplishment. We, in general, take so many little things for granted. 

Like I said… I’m not exactly sure where I am going with this article. I suppose we all just need a reminder to be kind to those around us. I’m not sure if anyone needs to hear this or will even see this, but you can get through this, honey. I believe in you.

Courtesy of Pixabay

Hello:) I am a senior kinesiology major at the University of Rhode Island. I am rather involved around campus and usually have my head in a book. I like the color yellow because it's just such a happy color!