You Are Not Alone: 9 URI Students On Coping With Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

People who suffer from anxiety know it can be extremely debilitating and nearly impossible to explain to others. I’m here to tell you that you are not alone. You are not your anxiety, and you are not the only one feeling this way.  In hopes of helping you, here is some advice and strategies from 9 random URI students on how they deal with their panic attacks:

1.  Margaret – Senior

• Grounding techniques
  • Meditation and yoga
  • Talking it out with close friends helps too
  • And being completely honest with others when it’s happening instead of trying to hide it

2.  Anonymous – Junior

• Meditation: Breathe in 3 seconds exhale 4 seconds

3.  Sarah – Senior

• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
  •  Self-talk
  • Identifying negative thoughts
  • Medication (Zoloft, Xanax)
  • Working out (the heavy breathing from cardio is like having a panic attack so using big belly breaths to practice changing that)
  • Getting a tattoo to remind me to stay positive.

4.  Anonymous – Junior

• Deep breaths
  • Telling myself that I am healthy and will get through it

5.  Chris – Junior

• Yoga
  • Supportive friends

6.  Ashley – Junior

• Deep breathing
  • Laying down
  • Taking a shower

7.  Andrew – Fifth Year

“I used to get them bad. I mean really bad. I also dealt with depression at the same time so it was hard for me even leave my bed sometimes. What it took for me was bringing myself out of my comfort zone every day in one way for another. Letting go of the toxic things in your life (relationships, negativity) and being spontaneous was what worked for me. It took months to overcome major anxiety, depresssion and random panic attacks, but now I’m on a huge upward swing and I don’t think anything could bring me down. To whoever’s reading this and dealing with anxiety and/or depression: Get out there and be spontaneous! Hang out with people you don’t normally hang out with! Branch out and expand your friend group! Just love yourself and people will love you back. Trust me, you won’t have any time to worry about your anxiety when you live like that on a daily basis.”

8.  Lynn – Junior

I always get really anxious when I feel stuck somewhere- including classrooms. There is no free will to leave when you want (more socially than physically). I always try really hard just to concentrate on what I’m doing to take my mind off of the panic. If that doesn’t work, I tell myself over and over again, “I will be okay.”  I include a couple deep breathes to regain my sense of composure. Another thing I find helpful when I’m feeling stressed is making lists so I can visually see everything that needs to get done and take the pressure out of my mind. I find being able to check off everything makes me feel better knowing I’m accomplishing something.

9.  Meave – Senior

• Daily medication
  • Emergency meds (klonopin)
  • Trying to stay organized to limit my stress.

Maybe what works for someone doesn’t work for you, or vise versa; but maybe there might be a certain tactic someone uses to calm their anxiety that could help you or someone you know who is suffering. Always remember, you are not alone.