Why You Should Go To College In Rhode Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

I was born and raised in Rhode Island and I consider myself lucky to call it my home. In RI you’re always less than an hour away from the beach and you get to fully experience all four seasons. As I grow older, I realize more and more how much this state has changed my life and how difficult it would be to ever part from it. Yes, Rhode Island is the smallest state in the United States, but it has *so much* to offer. Here are three reasons why you should go to school in Rhode Island.

1. Beach days all the time 

The beach is always less than hour away from you when you live in Rhode Island. Narragansett and Scarborough Beach are the most popular hangout spots, especially for college students. Looking for a paradise getaway? Head down to Point Judith and take the ferry to Block Island. There you can sip drinks out of pineapples and swim in icy blue waters.

Rhode Island is called the Ocean State for a reason!

2. Being able to watch the leaves change colors

Fall is no joke here in New England. The leaves begin to change color in the middle of September. Some trees turn yellow and others turn a beautiful reddish-brown. The leaves create the perfect backdrop for a day on the quad.

3. The state’s rich history

Every town in Rhode Island is full of history. Spend a day exploring Newport and make sure to visit the breathtaking mansions on Bellevue Avenue. Grab a picnic basket and sit down on a bench in Roger Williams Park, a park that was named after the man who founded Rhode Island. There are statues and plaques that surround the entire park which are always fun to read. A popular adventurous destination is the remnants of Rocky Point Park in Warwick. The amusement park officially closed it’s doors in 1995 after over a hundred years in operation. 

Brooke Conneally is a sophomore at the University of Rhode Island, majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Communications. She spends most of her time playing guitar while singing, pinning projects on Pinterest, cuddling with her cats, and organizing her room.