Why It’s Better to Skip the Fad Diets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Photo by Jessica To’oto’o on Unsplash

Fad diets have always been a craze. They start out as maybe skipping out on carbs or recommend that you eat only cabbage soup for the next two weeks of your life for every meal. Some convince you that if you drink apple cider vinegar every day or each foods based off of your blood type that will make you magically shed all the unwanted fat. Fad diets don’t only use fast results to lure people in but also gadgets like a waist trainer or some other ridiculous thing that will make you appear thinner.

News flash: you might lose weight at some point during the fad diet and “feel” better but in reality, you are putting your body through so many bad things that it doesn’t deserve.

Things that happen to your body when you try a fad diet:

• Dehydration
  • Lack of nutrients to vital organs/malnutrition
  • Feel sleepy all of the time
  • Major negative impacts on digestive system

Photo by Danielle MacInnes on Unsplash

The goal of fad diets is to get results fast. That’s what everyone wants nowadays. Your body carries you through all your daily activities and needs fuel to do so.

If you really want to lose weight, start slow.

• Go for walks or do moderate intensity exercise three days a week for 30 minutes at a time.
  • Seek out a personal trainer. Most will target on what issues you want to fix in a safe way.
  • Look into healthy diets that are long-term.
  • Motivate yourself, work out, eat balanced meals and snacks and the weight will come off.

People are so wrapped up in getting the “perfect” summer body that they often lose focus of what they are actually doing to their body. Be kind to your body and take things slow but most importantly trust the process! 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.