This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Who says New Years is the only time we’re given to make choices to better ourselves? To be more effective, one must make these changes around Thanksgiving time to be fully prepared for 2019.

I still believe in the power of resolutions, but believing you’ll become an entirely different person within the matter of one day, sets us up for failure. For resolutions to truly be consistent in your life, you must prepare ahead of time. Utilizing Thanksgiving as a time of reflection and being grateful for what you have will allow ideas to come easier.

Most of us will be heading home from school and finally taking some serious deep breaths that we’ve been longing for, for the past few months. It’s a chance to revisit your roots and find yourself again after the craziness of a rushed semester. It seems like you’ve been waiting forever for this week so don’t waste a moment of it. The world should seem to slow down for just a few moments while all feels good and right again. Everyone should have the chance to experience this time of contentment. Everyone needs it.

While you definitely should take time for family, take much needed time for yourself to meditate on what your values are. Keeping this physical or mental list at your fingertips at all times will assist in creating your resolutions for next year. You must keep them true to yourself and imagine your future world when your mind is completely at peace. We tend to organize our resolutions based on other’s expectations, but the true test is bettering yourself for only you. We forget that taking care of ourselves is the most important responsibility amidst the other responsibilities we have during a regular day. We operate on self-care internally and externally, and when those needs aren’t met, we lose our center of balance.

We’re always told to be thankful on this holiday and give thanks for all that we have. It’s unusual for us to say that we are thankful for our own beings, and being proud of ourselves for how far we’ve come each year on this day. 

The resolutions you create for yourself should be much more than physical, but mental and emotional as well. Don’t let anyone tell you that what you want to improve on isn’t a necessary resolution either – nothing is too small or too big. Use this time to fully surround yourself with those who love you and those who you love. Be present in the moment – take your mind off of things that would otherwise not matter outside of your current space. Take advantage of every moment this Thanksgiving holiday and thank your self and your body for all it has done for you. You owe yourself that much.

Here are some of my favorite quotes that I read to myself every day:

“Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and taking nothing for granted.” 

“What consumes your mind controls your life. Practice gratitude.”

“Learn to be thankful for what you already have, while you pursue all that you want.”