The Struggles of Having Insomnia in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Not being able to fall asleep when you have to get up in the morning is a struggle within itself. But for those of us that experience insomnia, we know that just not being able to fall asleep isn’t the only struggle. Here are the various struggles faced by those of us who have insomnia in college:

1. Running out of things to read on your phone

You’ve literally scrolled through every social media site, and googled plenty of random things… what now?

2. Knowing exactly how many hours of sleep you got

Because you check the clock and do the math about every 2 minutes until you finally fall asleep.

3. Running out of Netflix shows to binge on

Is it sad to have watched everything on Netflix? Is it acceptable to watch a series twice? Yes.

4. Having an exam the next day

The struggle of trying to fall asleep when you have an exam the next day is even worse. Should I get up and study more?

5. Waiting all day to climb back in bed.. just to be wide awake that night.

“I’m so tired I’m going to sleep like a baby tonight”…. Never ends up happening.

6. Even the smallest feeling that you have to pee…

Well now you have to get up or you won’t stop thinking about the bathroom.

7. Or being hungry. At 3am.

Deciding whether or not to snack at 3am is a huge struggle… it can’t be good for your metabolism but there’s no way you’re falling sleep hungry.

8. You constantly yawn in class.

It may look rude yawning in class but it’s really not your fault.

9. Telling yourself you are going to put your phone down…

…Just to pick it right back up again.

10. You snooze the alarm as much as possible.

A struggle because you could look cute for class, but with only 5 minutes to get ready you end up in sweats and a bun.

11. You physically rely on coffee to make it through the day.

It’s a blessing and a curse.

12. You can’t stop thinking about everything you haven’t done yet but need to do.

Essay due next week, group project, exam, do laundry, get a hair cut…

13. You think you can take naps to suffice for the lost sleep.

…But of course once you lay down to nap, the insomnia kicks right back in.

14. Texting your friends hoping they’re up too.

…Nope

15. Waking up before the alarm clock.

Then seeing your alarm is going off in an hour… no point in trying to go back to sleep now.

16. Constantly feeling like a zombie.

You’re never NOT tired. 

Insomnia is a struggle, no doubt. But if you find trouble falling asleep, you’re not alone. Most people find their own weird ways to fall asleep, but for now, just embrace the struggle and hope it goes away with age.

I'm a sophomore business major at URI. I'm from River Edge, New Jersey. I find joy in surrounding myself with my favorite people and making the best out of every situation. But i also find joy in eating food and laying in my bed.