Preparing For Your Last First Week of Exams as a Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Exams are upon us now that it’s been a few weeks, and as a graduating senior the lack of motivation is real – for everything, not just tests. It’s a very weird point in our lives that we’re going through, that’s for sure. Motivation comes in waves but it never seems to be at the right time for the right thing. However, as someone who has her first exam Monday and is a professional at being lazy, I’m here to tell you how to get back on track. 

I think February in itself is the struggle month, as it’s just in our way of getting over the hill and looking forward to spring break. Yet this is my last February in college which is crazy to say, so I need to look at it differently. It needs to become a time of preparation for getting my workload down before break so I can truly mentally prepare for graduation. I strongly advise looking ahead in your syllabi for ways you can make strides for yourself that will help you in the long run. 

The last thing you want to do as a senior is cram the last night of spring break, it will set the tone for when you return and you’ll be right back where you started. Something that I should have told myself as a freshman is also reviewing my lecture notes and book work after every class. This only takes a small amount of time each day. You always technically have homework even if nothing was actually assigned. If you constantly stay up to date with what you learn when you go home every day, studying for those exams will be cake. 

Although it’s easier said than done, I live by this golden rule. Since it’s our last first time with college exams, it’s only right to go out with a bang. The good kind, not the D+ bomb type bang. With college this day and age, students care more about letter grades than the actual information. When you’re only taking a certain class to get that last credit, this is understandable. 

However, changing your mindset about the information will have a lasting effect on how you test and how you learn. I struggle with taking an entry-level animal science class at the moment but since my schedule has mainly consisted of writing and fashion classes the past couple years, I’m taking it as a chance to learn something completely out of my element. I mean, that’s why you’re in college in the first place, so might as well get your money’s worth.

At the end of the day, senioritis is real and we’re known for all of these things until it bites us in the ass. Don’t slide by during your last semester. You want to end your college career in the best place possible, mentally and educationally, knowing you took advantage of everything you possibly could.

With all that said, good luck on your exams seniors!