This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It’s so easy to get lost in a sea of laziness, schoolwork, and bad news right about now, but I’ve realized that having a daily routine can really help. Yes, it does mean getting out of your pajamas, but trust me it’ll actually feel like you’ve accomplished something.

I set an alarm every morning, not super early, but whenever I get up too late I feel as if I have wasted part of my day already. I really think getting up before lunchtime is more motivating to get some work done. After I lay in bed for a bit, I do my usual morning routine. Wake yourself up a bit, wash your face, brush your teeth, and get dressed for the day. Although I get dressed in pajamas anyway, just getting out of your pajamas can make you feel more motivated to tackle the day.

Emily Veith

After getting all ready in the morning, I take all my schoolwork down to my kitchen table. Personally, I know I will never be able to get work done in my room, I am too lazy for that. I also don’t have a desk in my room, and I’d probably fall asleep trying to do work in my bed. If you have a room other than your bedroom where you can spread out, I recommend going there to get a change of scenery, instead of being in one place all day. I am usually doing my schoolwork till the middle of the day and I take a bunch of breaks and have plenty of distractions to break up the work. 

girl stressed at computer
energepic.com

I feel like this next part is super important, and that is to do something for yourself. For myself, I take the time after finishing that day’s schoolwork and before dinner to workout, but it really can be whatever you want. Maybe paint, bake, clean, stretch, read, it really can be whatever, but make sure it is something that you can use to clear your mind. 

My night then ends with a shower, dinner, and then I usually end up on the couch with my parents watching something on Netflix. We just finished the Netflix series Ozark and now we are watching Hunters

Although this daily routine may not seem like it is the most exciting, I think it’s important to have a plan. On the weekends I do lay around in my pajamas, but during the week I feel it is important to try to simulate normal life as much as possible, even though this is all very far from normal. My last piece of advice is to take everything day by day.

self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

My name is Mackenzie Moraski, I am a freshman and I'm undecided! In my free time I love playing with my dog.