photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How to Stay On Top of Things During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As finals approach and the semester comes to a close, it is easy to become lazy and less motivated than usual. But don’t worry, you are not alone, here are a few tips in which you can change that and keep up with all of your work!

Put your phone somewhere it won’t distract you

I know our phones can be very hard to stay away from, however whatever you missed will still be there later. That text from your friend, how many instagram likes your picture from earlier is getting or the snapchat from your crush, will all be there. In a few hours when your done reviewing for your upcoming exam or finishing up a paper, you can update yourself.

Study somewhere other than your room

There are libraries and study lounges for a reason, so use them to your advantage! You may think your going to get work done in your dorm, but let’s face it, your not going to get half as much done as you would in a different workspace. If you go to the library, you can find your own quiet spot and lessen the risk of getting distracted by roommates or how comfy your bed looks.

Get a good night’s sleep

As good as staying up and binge watching your current Netflix obsession, getting a good night’s sleep on a regular basis is the key to staying motivated all day. If you are able to get a full seven to eight hours of sleep, you are more likely to have more energy to keep you going throughout your day. You are also less likely to crash and not be able to focus on your work.

Stay organized and make a to-do list

Finals time can get hectic for everyone, and sometimes our brains might not be able to keep track of everything that is due at once. To keep you from missing an assignment or forgetting to study for an important exam, make a list of what you need to do. Whether you use a planner or a sticky note, write down what assignments you have and when you need to get them done by so you don’t have to cram last minute.

Set aside breaks for yourself

It is easy to get caught up in studying and forgetting to eat and socialize with friends. However, setting time aside in your day for yourself that isn’t consisting of just studying is important. Your brain needs a break from time to time, so don’t be afraid to step away from the books and go out with your friend for a few hours.

Stay Positive

We may not always get the perfect grade or do as well as our neighbor next to us, however that doesn’t mean you should think anything less of yourself. Learn to not get so upset with yourself over a small grade. If it won’t matter in a few months, you shouldn’t stress over it for longer than a few minutes. Remember to keep your head up. This time of year is never easy for anyone.

I hope these tips are able to keep you on top of all your work during this crazy busy time of year. Don’t worry, before you know it finals will be all done and you’ll be home on break not having to worry about anything!

Hi! I'm Gabby Curtis and I am currently a freshman at the University of Rhode Island. I am majoring in Communications with a business minor. In my free time I love hanging with friends, staying active, and enjoying a good movie!