Wellness > Mental Health

How to Restart Your Brain After a Long Week of Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Every week seems to be the same exhausting routine in college. You wake up, tired, go to classes, study and do homework and then by the weekend all you want to do is try to play catch up on sleep. Overall you feel brain dead by the time Friday morning hits. So how do you “restart” your brain?

Watch Mindless TV:

My roommates and I are very guilty of getting caught-up in the “Jersey Shore” or “Say Yes to the Dress” marathons on Friday afternoons. After hours of listening to Pauly D yell that the cabs are here, I feel relaxed and like I truly gave my brain a break. 

Get a Massage:

Photo by Adrian Motroc on Unsplash

This is more on the “Treat Yourself” kind of reset. But after long nights of finishing assignments a nice massage will send your body right back into relaxation mode.

Tip- look at groupon before purchasing your next massage for deals

Do Yoga/Meditate:

Photo by JD Mason on Unsplash

A good way to restart your brain is to put it in zen mode. Even if you just do a quick yoga session or use an app to complete a ten-minute meditation, you feel refreshed. 

Hangout With Friends:

Photo by Vince Fleming on Unsplash

Personally, after spending time with friends and getting away from schoolwork (sometimes even my phone), I feel like I gave my brain a good break.

Pet a Dog:

College campuses everywhere are starting to set-up doggy therapy times where students can pet and hangout with dogs that are on campus. Honestly I think this may just be the most effective way to de-stress and restart your brain because who doesn’t love dogs! 

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.