How to Prepare for the Campus Plague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Fall is finally here. I know that we are all very excited to wear our big sweaters and cute booties! However, the start of fall also means the “campus plague” is upon us. Here are the ways you can protect yourself from all the germs that will be coming your way this fall. 

1. Take your vitamins and minerals!

Ever since I was little, my mom would tell me to eat my vitamins every morning. Vitamins and minerals are essential to our health; for example, vitamin C and zinc are great for your immune system. Vitamin C can be taken in pill form or can be found in citrus fruits, vegetables and tea. Zinc, a mineral, can be found in foods such as yogurt, chickpeas and pumpkin seeds!

2. Get enough rest

We all know that it is extremely difficult to get enough sleep in college. However, getting proper rest by sleeping for seven hours each night is beneficial to your health. Your mind and body will thank you for getting a good night’s rest the following day. Lack of rest and poor sleeping habits lead to a poor functioning immune system!

3. Wash your hands

I cannot stress this enough: wash your hands! We are *constantly* touching dirty door handles, desks, chairs, dining hall tables, etc. Washing your hands is the simplest way to prevent yourself from catching the campus plague. Carrying hand sanitizer with you at all times is essential around this time of year. Whenever you get a chance to wash your hands during the day, do it!

4. Disinfect *everything*

I highly recommend disinfecting everything in your room at the end of each week. From cleaning the top of your dresser to cleansing your door handle, you need to sanitize and clean your room weekly. Not only will this help prevent you from getting sick, it will brighten your mood and make you feel more organized if your room is nice and clean!