This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Imagine leading 1,832 women in a position that is constantly under scrutiny by the entire nation. Envision having ten hour days while still balancing the overwhelming responsibilities of being a senior in college.

This is a day in the life of the Panhellenic president at the University of Rhode Island, Hailey Flavin.

The 21-year-old girl boss oversees ten sororities on campus and is the epitome of the confident role model that all young women need.

Ever since elementary school, Flavin was destined for this job.

Her influence began during early childhood: “I always remember my dad telling me that women were just as powerful as men could be, and as long as you pushed yourself, you could be successful in anything you did. It was very drilled into my head to persevere for anything I wanted, and that gender was not going to play a role in that.”

With this strong-willed nature, Flavin was easily able to express her mindset in her early years at school. “I firmly believe that who your elementary school teachers are influences how you are going to be when you get older. In fifth grade, I remember in one of my classes, my teacher talked solely about the history of women, and she was so passionate about it.”

The inspiration she got from women mentors at the age of ten was enough for Flavin to appreciate the importance of successful women in society. As a sophomore transfer student from Elon University and a sister of Sigma Kappa, Flavin was determined to establish herself on a new campus. This led to her involvement in Greek life at URI.

About 3,000 active members make up URI’s award-winning Greek life community which is equivalent to 20 percent of the student body. Inspired by Panhel’s past president Tatiana Leite, Flavin joined the organization shortly after arriving at URI.

“Hailey recognizes the difference between being liked and respected,” says URI’s Vice President of Affairs, Kathy Collins. “The line between these two is sometimes difficult to navigate and she does it successfully. She is a leader among leaders and she does this by her strong sense of initiative, her caring nature, and her drive to improve things around her.”

Young women in college are introduced to female leaders every single day. These leaders leave a significant impact on those whose lives they touch.

Flavin’s personal experiences steered her in the direction of where she is today.

After shadowing Leite, Flavin took on a new member education role before running for Panhel president on one of Greek life’s undergraduate governing boards.

“I absolutely loved the possibility of changing the ways of Greek life. I had many inspirations from different senior leadership at URI, which helped me realize what I was passionate about and why I wanted to be in this role.”

Over the years Greek life has gone under fire nationwide following multiple devastating tragedies, like the one at Louisiana State University, where a student died in a hazing ritual. That incident gives the general public a false impression of day-to-day Greek life, says Flavin, who is committed to focusing on students’ good deeds.

“It’s really important we bring out the good, and that’s something people never focus on because it’s easier to focus on the bad. So it’s crucial with my role to enhance the things that we’re good at but educate on the things that we need to improve.”

Flavin is aware of her influence in such a large community, and conscientiously prepares every individual member. From the moment new members are initiated into their chapters up until they graduate, trainings on sexual assault prevention, alcohol and substance abuse, and hazing are enforced.

“We’ve increased the groundwork this year, and everything bad that happens in other states motivates me to continue to do more and do better.”

The power of knowledge Flavin believes in goes beyond Greek students. With such a large Greek community, the entire URI campus is exposed and touched by the organization’s message.

“I strive to educate even the general student population who don’t want to be involved, on Greek life values and how you can use your power in Greek life to do good and to not go backward in time.”

Flavin’s strengths also lie in developing strong relations with each sorority. This comes naturally with her bubbly personality and approachable demeanor.

“I love the ability for us to be one community because it’s important that we’re not just all-separate organizations that do our own thing and are competitive with one another,” says Flavin, “rather, we have a much bigger impact on campus if we all work as one.”

Feminism is a powerful factor for young women in college as they prepare for the professional confidence and growth needed to be successful in the workplace.

Flavin says the core values that guide women not only promote advancement in a Greek organization, but also mold intelligent and socially-aware women who defy expectations.

“I aim to motivate the middle, motivate the general members who get lost in our 200-plus average chapter size to be leaders. You don’t have to have a president role to be that type of leader.”

With a bittersweet smile as if in remembrance of all she has accomplished, Flavin says, “I love the possibility of changing stereotypes and the way that people look at Greek life, and I think that we can do that by working together and brainstorming everything that our chapters do well and using them to create the best possible structure.”

Flavin expects to continue promoting leadership roles for women after she graduates this spring. “My passion for Greek life has continued to grow throughout my experiences at URI and it has motivated me to continue my involvement and change.”

Hailey’s passion will still consist of student affairs of fraternity and sorority life at graduate school.

After interviewing at North Carolina State, Clemson and Duke for live-in positions in fraternity and sorority life, Flavin hopes to share her wisdom with other Panhellenic councils as a graduate assistant. Her job description will include overseeing the risk management aspect of organizations while establishing programming to connect with Greek life values.

“I believe so firmly in Greek life, and want to use what I know in combination of learning from other students to help it grow.”