danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Finals: Five Stages Of Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Finals are a time that every college student goes a little bit crazy. From writing ten-page essays to studying 24/7, no one can escape the stress that finals bring upon us. Thankfully, there are methods available to help ease the pain of finals. Most universities provide plenty of calming and fun activities to take your mind off of all your stress temporarily. However, if nothing seems to be working for you, an idea listed below may be able to help! Based on how stressed you feel, look for the number that best corresponds with your level of stress. Level one is the most calm, level five is feeling like you might explode from all the stress!

Take A Nap 

If you’re at a Level One stress, you’re currently feeling pretty calm. Most likely this means that you have most or all of your work finished for the end of the semester. Maybe you’ve got some studying left to do, but overall you’re feeling good about your finals and are in a zen mode. Good for you! You deserve to take a nap, with all the work you’ve finished you don’t have much else to do anyway! So take a break and let your brain get some rest before you take your finals.

Pet A Dog 

At this point, you’re starting to feel the pressure of finals and the amount of work you have to do. You’re not letting it get to you yet though! Take some time in between your study sessions and find a dog. Any dog will do since they’re all amazing, so go to whatever lengths you need to in order to find one! Petting a dog will instantly relieve you of any built-up stress and will have you feeling calm again before you know it!

Go For A Run

Now the stress is catching up with you and there’s nothing you can do about it. Your mind and body are filled with anxiety and fear about all of your exams and final projects. The only way to get rid of some of that bad energy is to go for a run, or more like a sprint. After running until you feel like your legs will fall off, your brain will most likely feel calmer and ready to take on the beast that is studying.

Eat Away Your Troubles

Time is closing in on you and all of a sudden you feel trapped. All the procrastination and breaks have caught up to you and there’s nowhere to run. You need to hunker down and get some major studying done. Grab a snack, a meal, a whole buffet if you can and eat away your troubles. Food may not make you study faster or keep you focused, but it will make you feel happier when every other part of you feels like it’s dying while studying.

Rant

At this point, there is no time left and all you can do is go into finals with your fingers crossed. You feel like your head is going to explode with the amount of information you have jammed into it. You may have cried a little, or a lot, but it doesn’t matter anymore because finals are here. What you need to do now is find anyone you can, a friend, a roommate, or a building custodian, and trap them so you can rant. Catch them in the lobby or in the lounge and let everything out. Every worry, every stress, anything you need to say all in one sloppy cry for help. With all the work you’ve done and the stress you’ve endured, you deserve it. Feel the stress melt away as you rant your little heart out.

Good luck with finals and don’t forget to take care of yourselves!

Miranda

URI '23

Hey, I’m Miranda and I’m a freshman at URI! I’m majoring in Communicative Disorders and am interested in specializing in audiology.