Kristen Bryant-Colorful Medicine Jumble
Kristen Bryant-Colorful Medicine Jumble
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness

Do Natural Remedies Actually Work?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

The week right before Valentine’s Day, I was not feeling so hot. I had aches, chills, sore throat, you know, typical flu season symptoms. I was fine taking lots of Advil and Nyquil, but I guess my mom figured I needed more to combat the cold. She had sent me a cute Valentine’s Day package full of chocolate-covered Oreos that I ate immediately, heart decorations to hang in my dorm, and…elderberry Veg Capsules? I had never heard of “elderberry” before, and of course, I texted her asking if they were even for me. As I looked up this mysterious new vitamin, it actually looked like they were many benefits to taking these capsules. Right on the packaging of my case of capsules, it says that the Elderberry fruit is a multi-purpose fruit, and has been traditionally known for improving health and wellness for centuries. 

white ceramic mug on white table beside black eyeglasses
Unsplash

The specific elder plant tied to better health and wellness is the “Sambucus Nigra” which is the European elder plant. Apparently, there are over 30 elder plants, who would’ve thought? This one specifically contains many vitamins and antioxidants, and its biggest claim to fame is that it can boost your immune system. Not only that, but it can help prevent or tame inflammation, reduce stress, ease cold and flu symptoms, and much more. I am a believer in essential oils, so why not try this? I took the recommended two to three capsules a day, and although I didn’t feel instant relief, I do feel a lot better as a result of the capsules, NyQuil, and, of course, just waiting out the cold.

pile of overlapping antique clocks of different sizes
Jon Tyson on Unsplash

There are other ways to get the elderberry in your system as well, not just through capsules. There are gummies, syrup, and lozenges as well. I probably sound like an elderberry spokesperson, but honestly, it is just very impressive to me that a simple fruit can have all of these health benefits. I am not saying to stop taking medication prescribed to you for sickness and only take elderberry capsules, but I think they’re worth trying. Who knows, my progressing health could have been because I was getting over a bad cold, or maybe these capsules did help. I am still currently taking one to two capsules a day, just to play it safe, and maybe steer clear of another bad cold this flu season. 

My name is Mackenzie Moraski, I am a freshman and I'm undecided! In my free time I love playing with my dog.