This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

It’s no secret that college is expensive and financial aid organizations such as FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) somehow think that every person on this earth can afford to go to college. These programs are created to help students pay for an education that will (hopefully) result in their success later on in life. But if you ask me, it seems like they are actually creating more stress in an already stressed-out college student’s life. I mean seriously, how do they expect someone who has less than $1,000 in their bank account to afford tuition?

Some ways to improve your chances of receiving financial aid from FAFSA are as follows:

1. File for it even if you don’t think you will get any aid

Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash

This applies to you if your parents’ income is out of range of what the ‘accepted’ FAFSA guidelines are. These guidelines change all the time, so it is worth a shot. When paying for college every bit helps!

2. The early bird gets the worm

Photo by Estée Janssens on Unsplash

Most applications go live at the start of the new year. Fill them out ASAP! Sometimes financial aid is rewarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. The earlier you get your forms filled out the more likely you’re going to receive financial aid.

3. Keep your ducks in a line

Photo by Jessica Lewis on Unsplash

Upon filling out the application, make sure you have all of your tax forms and other important documents ready to submit. Also, before submitting your application, double check that all fields are filled in completely!

4. Move that money

It may be beneficial to move money around or withdraw from your accounts to prove how much you are in need of financial aid. The reviewers will see that you don’t have much money and that they cannot by any circumstance hold that check that you got from grandma for your birthday over your head and say that that small amount will be sufficient to pay for school.

5. Appeal

If you are not happy with the package that you received, appeal it! Appealing may require you to write a letter that explains your financial situation and why you believe you need this aid in order to continue your education.

Although FAFSA and other financial aid organizations do not always provide our ideal amount of aid, don’t stop there! Apply for as many scholarships as possible through your university or websites/apps such as Scholly!

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.