The Best Things About Living in Rhode Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Rhode Island may be the smallest state in the country, but in my opinion, it is one of the best places to live. (I may be biased though). Little Rhody can be commonly seen as the younger sibling of Massachusetts, but once you visit you can see just how wonderful the ocean state is. Here are just a few of my favorite things about living in Rhode Island!

The Ocean

Okay, you might be a little crazy if the ocean isn’t one of your favorite parts of living in a coastal state. The beaches of Rhode Island are absolutely beautiful and you can avoid some of the major crowds that you run into on Cape Cod. Even in the winter months, the water is calming to look at, and, if you’re up early enough, you can catch some incredible sunrises. Not to mention, Rhode Island is a great place for surfing with great spots from Newport to Narragansett to Westerly. 

The Sports

Living in Rhode Island means you get to be a fan of the New England Patriots…do I even need to say any more than that? In addition to having great professional teams to cheer for, many of the universities in the state also have competitive teams that are fun to follow. 

Seasons

New England states boast all four seasons, which not many places do. In the ocean state, we have hot summers, snowy winters, beautiful springs, and some of the most gorgeous scenery in the autumn. I personally can’t imagine not seeing the change of seasons every year. With the changes, there is something for everyone in Rhode Island.

The Community

In such a small state, it comes as no surprise that everyone knows everyone. Everyone can find something they enjoy in this little state; from surfing to rock climbing to attending sporting events or even just checking out the local restaurants and bars, there is always something to do. 

I am so grateful to call Rhode Island home. Attending the University of Rhode Island has made me passionate about being a part of the Rhody community. This tiny coastal state has given me new hobbies and lifelong friends. There truly is nowhere else like the ocean state.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!