harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

To All the Things That Have Affected Your Mental Health Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

New school year, new you…That’s how it goes right? The first week back is so refreshing, as you oh so neatly prepare to fulfill the promise you made to yourself last year: “I’ll do better next year.” The struggle lies in making this euphoric feeling last longer than one week. This starts with recognizing everything that has held you back in the past, and kicking it in the butt.

To make this year your best yet, take as much time as you need every day to arrive in a good head-space. We forget just how important it is for our body to function accordingly with our busy schedules. If you’re not you, everything else will feel off. During this time in our lives, we are under an immense amount of stress that affects our every move. The damaging effects of stress are undermined, until we actually experience it for ourselves.

Mental health is a crucial topic not talked about enough on college campuses – especially how to maintain it. While the school year is just beginning, now is the time to make some big changes if you simply need to get back on track.

Try doing something alone that you’ve always asked a friend to do with you. While it’s exciting and nerve-racking, it gives you a few moments in the day to appreciate yourself as your own person. This is a feeling we tend to neglect, so we forget just how often we need it.

Mental health is precious because it’s the backbone for all of our decision-making. Healthy decision-making results in more productive days and consistent workflow. Take time to analyze your daily schedule and prepare yourself ahead of time, so you can truly tackle the day in the best way possible. Your self deserves this much.

Kiss all of the struggles that have prevented you from moving forward good-bye, and accept that reaching a healthy mindset is always a work in progress. If you ever feel like your efforts toward achieving this isn’t appreciated, this is your reminder that they are.