6 Music Festivals You Must Attend This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Everyone loves summer, and what’s better than attending a music festival?  A few summer festivals have recently released their lineups for this year and trust me, they’re going to be amazing.  There is a festival for everyone’s musical interests, but these are my personal favorites. 

1. Coachella 

April 10-12 and April 17-19, Indio, California

Coachella is the groundbreaking festival for all music lovers.  It all started in 2001 and for the past fifteen years, Coachella has never failed to showcase talented artists.  Taking place in not one, but two weekends in April, Coachella is THE holy grail of festivals. 

Best Acts: Drake, Florence and the Machine, St. Vincent, AC/DC, Alabama Shakes.

2. Hangout Fest

May 15-17, Gulf Shores, Alabama 

Hangout Fest combines two of my favorite things in one, the beach and a concert.  What’s better than spending a weekend on the beaches of Alabama while listening to some of your favorite bands?

Best Acts: Foo Fighters, TV on the Radio, My Morning Jacket, Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls, Dirty Heads.

3. Boston Calling

May 22-25, Boston, Massachusetts

Another relatively new festival, Boston Calling has been held in the center of Boston, on Memorial Day weekend, since 2013. If you can’t make your way to Boston Calling in May, it’s held again in September! 

Best Acts: Beck, Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, Vance Joy, Chet Faker, The Lone Bellow. 

4. Sasquatch

May 22-25, Quincy, Washington 

Sasquatch is a great west coast getaway for Memorial Day weekend, so start saving your money now! This festival is about two and a half hours outside of Seattle, and has campgrounds for your convenience in the same spot the festival takes place. 

Best Acts: Kendick Lamar, Lana Del Ray, Of Monsters and Men, The Decembrist, The War on Drugs. 

5. Governor’s Ball

June 5-7, Randall’s Island, New York City 

Governor’s Ball is one of the biggest festivals on the east coast, bringing some of the biggest names to their stage every year.  One of the coolest things about this festival is that you have to take a ferry to get to the venue.  Even though the ferry fare adds an extra $50 to your ticket price, it is definitely worth it to see all of the great artists on the lineup.

Best Acts: The Black Keys, Ratatat, Tame Impala, Marina and the Diamonds, Ryan Adams.

6. Firefly Festival

June 18-21, Dover, Delaware

Firefly first started in 2012, making it one of the youngest music festivals.  Like Sasquatch, you can camp on the grounds.  Even better, they have a whole area of hammocks for when your crazy partying self need a break. Even better than that? Paul McCartney was just confirmed as the secret headliner.

Best Acts: The Killers, Snoop Dogg, Bastille,  Walk the Moon, Foster The People.

If these six music festivals weren’t enough to gain your interest, don’t worry, there’s more on the way! 

Three festivals that haven’t released their Summer 2015 lineup:

Mysteryland USA – Bethel Woods, New York, May 22-25

Lollapalooza – Chicago, Illinois, July 31-August 2 

Osheaga – Quebec, Canada, July 31-August 2

Hi Her Campus readers, I am Carly and I'm a sophomore journalism and communications major at URI. I'm originally from New York but Rhode Island is my second home. I love everything from pugs to the Yankees.