This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

No matter what the subject is, how big the class is, or what time of day it meets, it always seems that there is a fairly consistent cast of characters in every class.  We all know them and we all have varying opinions on each of these students. Every college student can recognize these familiar personalities from their classes. 

The One Who Loves To Participate

It’s hard to not be aware of this student. They’re the one that sits in the front row and feels the need to comment on everything the professor says. Sometimes you start to wonder how they still have more questions left to ask.

The Aggressive Typer

This is the one student who practically has a laptop in place of an appendage. No matter how far away from them you sit, you can still hear them clicking away on the keyboard all class long. Bonus points if they have acrylic nails.

The Snoozer

We will never be too sure why this student even bothers to show up to class. They arrive, sit down, and promptly fall asleep for the entirety of the lecture. But hey, as long as they’re not snoring it’s not bothering anyone.

The Ghost

You only see this student during syllabus week and on exam days. How they are passing remains a mystery but at least they’re freeing up space in the classroom for you to stretch out a little more.

The Snacker

Maybe they don’t have a break between classes or maybe they’re just always hungry but this student somehow is always eating during class. If we’re being honest here, the jealousy can be real when they pull out entire meals in the middle of a lecture.

No matter the course, there’s no escaping these classmates. While they can drive us crazy, we have four years to deal with their shenanigans and make the best of it. At the end of the day, we’re all just trying to pass.

Biological Sciences major at the University of Rhode Island. In my free time you can find me dancing, watching football, or cooking vegetarian meals!