5 Healthy Food Substitutions for Everyday Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Eating healthy is something a lot of us try to do. Unfortunately, sometimes we just don’t know how to. Along with cutting out junk and adding fruits and veggies to your diet, consider these substitions in your cooking so you don’t have to give up all of your favorite foods:

1. Coconut oil or olive oil for butter in cooking.

Both coconut oil and olive oil have health benefits that butter does not. Use either of these instead of butter to grease a pan, or to crisp paninis and sandwiches like grilled cheese. 

2. All things whole-wheat: Bread, pasta, flour.

White bread, pasta, and flour have little benefits to your health. Whole-wheat products contain the healthy grains that you need daily. Try out wheat bread, pasta, and flour for cooking and meals so you don’t have to feel guilty about your carb intake.

3. Oats instead of breadcrumbs.

Oats are a good substitute for breadcrumbs because they contain good fiber and about half the calories of breadcrumbs. 

4. Truvia instead of sugar.

Truvia packets contain a sweetener called stevia that has more sweetness in fewer packets. This makes it better than sugar because you won’t need to use as much. Plus: it contains 0 calories!

5. Ground turkey instead of ground beef.

Ground beef can be bought lean but it can still contain more fat than ground turkey. Make sure to read the labels and choose the meats with less saturated fat.

There are plenty of ways to cut down fat and calories, and add healthy nutrients to your meals, you just have to know what to swap out. Experiement with these substitutions and you will find healthy eating doesn’t have to be difficult!

I'm a sophomore business major at URI. I'm from River Edge, New Jersey. I find joy in surrounding myself with my favorite people and making the best out of every situation. But i also find joy in eating food and laying in my bed.