samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

4 Tips That Can Help You Land a Job Post-Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

As a senior, the fear of unemployment has been looming over my head recently. Thankfully, after meeting with a career advisor and some of my own personal research, I have figured out some ways to become more marketable to employers!

1. Tailor Your Resume: 

Even if you think your resume is perfect, it is a document that can constantly be changed and tailored to specific jobs. A great way to figure out how you can best mold your resume to your goals is to put your most relevant experience at the top of your resume, and be sure to elaborate! Getting a second opinion of your resume can be very beneficial as well whether it be from a career advisor, an academic advisor or a professor!

2. Attend a Career Fair:

Career fairs are a great way to network. Employers from different companies will be at these fairs prepared to meet students and share information about the companies they represent. This is a perfect opportunity to make connections and even find an idea of what sort of company you may want to work for. There are usually career fairs scheduled each semester, so try to attend one!

3. Reach out to Alumni:

Using LinkedIn, you can find alumni in different locations and their different careers. Reaching out to alumni for an informational interview or some career advice from when they were in your shoes is a great way to gain some perspective on what to expect in the “real world”. Alumni are usually excited to share their stories and successes after college, especially with a student whose shoes they were once in!

My name is Alexa and I am from Forest Hills, New York. I am a Senior at URI studying Public Relations and Communication Studies. You can probably find me binge-watching makeup tutorials or laughing at memes.