Career

Women of HCUPRM Series: Paola Avellanet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Paola Avellanet is in her final year at el Colegio as an English Literature major. Two years ago, she became a part of the HCUPRM team after following Her Campus since her high school years. What gave her the final push to join was finding out that the chapter was starting its own Public Relations (PR) division; “I just had to join and I don’t regret it for a second.

Currently, she holds the position of our chapter’s treasurer as well as the Instagram account manager. Paola reveals what Her Campus has gifted her, “I learned how to develop myself better in a group of people I did not know. I’m still learning how to handle marketing strategies in social media, and it has helped me in choosing what I want to major in my Master’s Degree.

In looking to the future, Paola wants to continue traveling the world, especially those parts she hasn’t yet visited, and working at something that makes her happy and fulfilled. A personal reminder she always tells herself is Dory’s (Finding Nemo) famous line: “Just keep swimming.” This is regardless of all the doubt she has created upon herself and questioning if all her struggles have been worth it, because when it boils down to it, “it doesn’t matter how long it takes, you WILL get there.

For the prepas, Paola gives some truthful advice, “Talk to your professors, get involved in things even though they don’t have to do with your current major, because you might find yourself along the way.” And when we finally asked her what would she tell her younger self, she answered in a concise sentence that isn’t quite so simple, “Don’t be scared of change and take risks.”

Author of "Partida en Dos," a self-published poetry book, and also published writer featured in magazines such as Sábanas, El Vicio del Tintero, Emily, and the Anthology of the Revolutionary Alliance. Bachelor student of English Literature and minors in Comparative Literature and Teacher Preparation. Born and raised in the West of Puerto Rico, artist, dancer, tree-hugger and animal rights activist.