Tips to Survive Your College Experience at Colegio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

College life can sure be an overwhelming experience for everyone, whether you are a freshman or a fossil, here are some reminders to keep you up to date.  

1. Buildings Basics

In case you didn’t know this, your classrooms will be indicated in the Matricula in a two-letter code. The letters are abbreviations that identify the buildings where classes are located. For example, SH means Sanchez Hidalgo and PA means Piscina Alumni which is the Natatorio. Therefore there is no such thing as a salón hogar period. If you’re feeling sick you should go to Servicios Médicos, not Enfermería.

2. Nobody cares what your wear

In college, no one really cares what you wear, except for laboratories. You will walk long distances, and it’s important to dress as comfortably as you can.

3. When it rains, it pours

If you aren’t from Mayagüez, there is a little detail that you might need to know: it rains every day, usually at 2:00 p.m.. Therefore, your umbrella should be your number one accessory. Additionally, it’s good to always have an extra t-shirt in your book bag in case.

4. Student Associations

There are a great number of student associations that will help you grow as a person and as professional. We encourage you to be part of whichever one you feel happy in. Joining an association can be a key factor when applying for an internship, plus it would be a great experience to add to your resumé.

5.  Resumé

When it comes to college life, it is really important to start working on your resumé. Go ahead and take a look at other articles on resumé building. Remember to start developing yourself and thinking on activities that improve your persona and your professional skills.

Now that you know the basics, what are you waiting for? Let the adventures begin.

21 year-old passionate with the idea of becoming a Chemical Engineer and a Writer. In love with the beach, El Colegio and writing her way through history.   The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.  -Helen Keller
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.