This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

The month of February can mean a lot of things to many different people. For the ones in relationships, it’s the perfect time to shine through with thoughtful gestures and affection towards their partners. But hey, this isn’t just about romantic love… As a matter of fact, Galentine’s Day has become such a popular tradition when it comes to celebrating the love and appreciation we have towards our friendships. For the single ones out there, this may also be a great opportunity for self-love practices and quality time with special people. Of course, it’s not always easy for everyone but, that’s also perfectly valid because we all have the right to ride our emotional waves as they come and go. Regardless of the sentimental stage you may be in during this Valentine’s Day season, there is always room for a good romance film. In this article, I will be sharing 10 movies I think you’ll absolutely love. So grab some popcorn and enjoy!

tHE notebook

This article wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t start off with THE romance movie of the century. As many of you probably know, The Notebook stars both Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. It was released in 2004 and is based off of Nicholas Sparks’ 1996 novel; by the same name. The plot follows the romance of Noah and Allie, two young lovers who meet in the summer of 1940 and the many difficulties that they face along the way including class differences, war and Alzheimer’s disease.

Fun fact: Have you ever wondered why Ryan Gosling looks slightly different compared to the rest of the films he’s participated in? Well, you’re completely onto something because in The Notebook his character Noah has brown eyes so, he had to wear eye contacts to fit the role, hence, the difference in his facial features.

The Notebook Love GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
Past Lives

A24 has become a staple for indie fanatics and despite it’s popularity in the horror movie genre, their dramas do not disappoint either. Celine Song’s semi-autobiographical Sundance Film Past Lives is a work of art. The story starts with Na Young (a.k.a Nora), a young Korean girl who crushes on her childhood best friend named Hae Sung. Unfortunately, they unexpectedly drift apart when Nora’s family decides to immigrate to the United States of America with hopes of a brighter future. As the years go by, Hae Sung pursues a career in engineering while Nora aspires to become a famous writer. They are able to reconnect eventually when Hae Sung decides to visit Nora for the first time after 12 years of not seeing one another but, is he too late?

Meet Joe Black

Have you ever wondered what would happen if death became a person who inhabited earth and fell in love with a human? Well, look no further because Meet Joe Black fits this criteria. It was released in 1998 and stars American heartthrob Brad Pitt and the beautiful Claire Forlani. This film not only explores the concept of love but also the meaning of life through impactful metaphors and clever dialogues between the characters.

Little Fish

Little Fish is a thoughtful and moving film that has resonated with me profoundly. What makes it so captivating is its unique premise and emotive storyline. The film centers around a couple who fight to maintain their connection amidst a global epidemic of a memory loss virus. I think that the plot in a way uses a metaphor to demonstrate how human relationships are fragile yet significant. I can say with certainty that the film’s ending has the power to provoke deep emotions while inspiring introspection.

La La Land

Do you like your musicals with an emotional kick? I have the film just for you. La La Land is a popular romance movie directed by Damien Chazelle. It was released in 2016, with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling as the protagonists. The film takes place in Los Angeles, California and the cinematography is breathtaking. It tells the story of a struggling jazz musician named Sebastian who falls in love with an aspiring actress named Mia. The plot successfully portrays the emotional turbulence that arises when you love someone but you also want to also follow your dreams. This is definitely a film you’ll never forget if you’re into stunning visuals, jazz music and a good script.

La La Land GIF by eOneFilms - Find & Share on GIPHY
Edward Scissorhands

If you’re anything like me and you love Tim Burton’s enchanting stories, you’re in for a sweet treat. Among Burton’s cinematic treasures, Edward Scissorhands stands as a true masterpiece of gothic romance. If the details of the plot have become hazy over time, I can refresh your memory. The film was released in 1990 and is about a mechanical man named Edward who has scissors for hands and is taken in by a suburban family. As he lives there, he begins falling in love with Kim, the family’s daughter. I absolutely love every part of this film. The captivating fusion of pastel visuals with Edward’s somber persona creates a stunning and unique cinematic contrast. To say the least, Johnny Depp and Winona Ryder are amazing in this film. I would be crazy if I didn’t express just how profoundly the ice dance scene has moved me. It truly stands as one of my most cherished movie scenes of all time and I hope that it does the same to you.

Edward Scissorhands GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment - Find & Share on GIPHY
Pride & Prejudice

Joe Wright’s Pride & Prejudice, is a classic romance movie adaptation of Jane Austen’s timeless novel. The period piece stars the wonderful Keira Knightley who plays Elizabeth Bennet, a young and charming woman who falls in love with the wealthy but brooding Mr. Darcy, played by Matthew Macfadyen. Set in 19th-century England, the film explores themes of class, family, societal expectations and love. Its engaging dialogue, captivating performances, and stunning visuals make it a must for romance fans to watch.

Pride And Prejudice GIF by Working Title - Find & Share on GIPHY
Twilight

I had to include the complete Twilight Saga in this movie recommendation list because it’s a pop-culture classic. We all know how it goes: normal girl falls in love with a vampire but also kind of forms a love triangle with a were-wolf. If you’re unfamiliar, these films are based off of Stephanie Mayer’s Twilight novels and features Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. Whether you’re a fan of the intense romance between Bella and Edward, the strong friendship and potential love story between Bella and Jacob, or the charming Alice, the Twilight Saga offers something for everyone.

Atonement

Love a good historical fiction with a romantic flair? Joe Wright’s Atonement is the perfect film for you. The story is set in the 1930’s and follows the love story of Cecilia and Robbie. Their love faces war, hardships and even the betrayal of Cecilia’s sister Briony. You’re probably wondering what unspeakable act I must be referring to. However, here’s the thing… I don’t think I should spoil it, so I’m going to leave it for you to find out. If you’re looking for a film with a mix of passion and tragedy, Atonement will certainly become one of your favorites.

Keira Knightley Art GIF by Tech Noir - Find & Share on GIPHY
Eternal Sunshine of A Spotless Mind

Have you ever experienced a relationship that you wish you could forget? If so then I think you’d really enjoy Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind starring The Mask’s Jim Carrey and Titanic’s Kate Winslet. This film by Michel Gondry and Charlie Kaufman, is about a man named Joel who is surprised to learn that his ex-girlfriend, Clementine, had him erased from her memory. The heartbreak that he experiences by discovering this was so terrible that he decides to undergo the same procedure in the New York City firm named Lacuna with hopes of moving on. Whether you find yourself grieving a past relationship or embarking on a healing journey, Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind can be the perfect comfort movie since it coves topics of love and loss beautifully.

Kate Winslet Mind GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

In conclusion, whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day with your partner, best friends, or simply using it as an opportunity to take care of yourself, these movies offer a great way to spend the day under warm fuzzy blankets while eating popcorn and chocolates. Each one of these explore love and relationships in their own unique way so be ready to be immersed and most importantly, reflecting on the type of love story you aspire to experience in your own life.

Sofía Isabel Valentín Díaz is a staff writer for Her Campus in the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez chapter. At the moment, she is pursuing a career in Psychology and aspires to become a Clinical Psychologist while also earning a Master’s Degree in Communications with a Minor in Journalism. Writing is one of her many passions in life and she is determined to continue sharing a part of her heart and mind to all of her readers one article at a time.