This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

If there is one thing about Summer in Puerto Rico, especially in Mayagüez, is that it will be hot. When it’s hot, one only craves something fresh, healthy, and delicious. What better thing to eat that is refreshing, solid, and delicious than açai? 

Açai’s natural cooling effect on the body makes it a perfect treat for hot summer days. It can help regulate body temperature and keep you feeling refreshed and energized.

In this article, I’ll show some of the best açai places in Mayagüez, from food trucks to dine-in. Let’s dive in!

Near el Pueblo

• La Fresquería

La Fresquería salad bar is perfect if you are looking for fresh and healthy food. They have organic juices, poke bowls, and more. However, if you are not looking for something substantial and are in the mood for something with fruits, they have açai too. 

The vibes in La Fresqueria are amazing. It is spacious, and you can order and pay at the end. 

Their açai is quite simple but delicious. There are certain days that they even have discounts. 

• Happy Bowls

Happy Bowls easily has the best vibes and setting out of all the other açai places. Their location is filled with plants and peaceful decorations. 

Happy Bowls also offers other things to eat, such as burgers, quesadillas, and nachos. However, their açai is one of their best options. Their portions are pretty big, and overall, they serve a tasty and good quality açai.

This one is perfect for a place with different options and prices. It is also great if you want to eat in and sit for a while in the company of good vibes. 

Near Western Plaza

• Koa acaí

Koa açaí is perfect for a day after the beach. They also have different locations around the Island which is really convenient. 

Their açaís are of great quality and are also available in coco, parcha, and pitaya flavor. However, the best thing about them is that, besides getting a typical açai bowl, you can get a waffle cone with açai or cheesecake with açai. 

• Açai Express

Açai Express is excellent if you are in a rush and are looking for takeout açaí. Although they are not local, they have a great variety of options and can come in handy. 

They have Pitaya Bowls, Energy Bowls, Coco Bowls, and Mango Bowls. Besides that, their portions are always huge, and you can save some for later or the next day. 

At the Mall

• Green Bowls 

Green bowls are perfect for when you go shopping at the mall and then you find yourself craving a refreshing and healthy snack. They also have a great brunch menu and all-day mimosas!

Unlike the other places, they offer açais with different liquid bases. For instance, the base can be made with almond, coconut, and soy milk; or with apple, pineapple, and guava juice. This allows people with certain dietary restrictions to happily enjoy their açai. 

They have the option for take-out or you can also eat in. They are perfect for shopping days and a healthier option. 

Overall, there are plenty of options for açaí in Mayagüez in terms of prices, places, and flavors. Make sure to visit these places during the hot summer days and choose your favorite one! 

Valeria Martinez is a senior writer at Her Campus UPRM. This is her fourth year on Her Campus. She focuses on writing about popular culture, social issues, and mental health. She also completed an internship with Her Campus Media. Beyond Her Campus, Valeria is a Digital Marketing intern for Puerto Rico Wire Group. She also interned for the non-profit organization Thirst Project, managing their socials and creating content for them. One of her poems is to be published in Sabanas Bilingual Magazine. She currently works as a Digital Marketing intern. Valeria is an English Literature undergraduate student also doing a minor in Writing and Communications at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. In her free time, Valeria loves going to the beach, reading, the movies, and cafe hopping. She is also a musical enthusiast and theatre kid who can't go out most of the time because "she's got practice." Her ultimate goal is to become a Journalist focusing on Latin Communities. She plans to move to NYC to Graduate School at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York next year.