free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Nail Your Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Interviews can be nerve-racking at times, especially when you’ve never had one. There’s no need to worry; we got you covered! Here are a few tips that will help you pave your way into having a successful interview and get the position you want.

Dress appropriately

Make sure your outfit is clean and doesn’t have any holes nor stains. If you have nail polish on, make sure that isn’t chipped. It is often preferred to wear a subtle amount of makeup that doesn’t overpower the face. Remember that if you get the position, you will be part of the image of the company. For that reason, your first impression look should be taken into account when going in for an interview.

Know information about the company 

It is very common to be asked what you know about the company, or what has led you to choosing this specific company you’re interviewing for. If you do not know the basic information about the company you’re interviewing for, they will often dismiss you. Remember that they are looking for people who want to work for them and are willing to dedicate themselves to the company. Try to research what are the company’s core values and emphasize them during the interview.

Recognize the value in your accomplishments

Interviewers want to know who you are as a colleague and a leader. For these reasons, it is common to be asked about the different positions or activities you have in your resume. They will often ask “Tell me a time in which you displayed leadership (or any other trait).”  Be prepared to be asked about the details of your job and what you can bring to this company by having gone through those experiences. In order to prepare for these behavioral questions, practice answering these questions.

What makes you an asset? 

Be clear about what you will bring to the company. Know what unique experiences and strengths you have that make you stand out from the rest of the candidates and make you the ideal fit for the position. Write them down in a notebook to keep track of your skills.

Have questions prepared 

It is a custom to be asked if you have any questions about the company after your interview. This is the time to showcase your interest in the company and the atmosphere it has. You could ask about the experience the employee giving the interview has had, the environment of the company, or whatever else you can think of.

Stay calm 

The most important thing to do is to remain relaxed during the interview. It is normal to be a little bit nervous beforehand, but don’t let your nerves get the best of you! Keep in mind that interviewers are aware that this is a nerve-racking process, so they understand if you seem a bit on edge. However, remember that this is like any other conversation, you just need to prove to this person, or group, that you are the ideal fit for the company because of your unique qualities. Focus on what you can bring to the table and be sure of yourself. Try to radiate confidence as well as you can without seeming cocky.

I hope these tips will help you enter your interview more assured of yourself and better prepared. Good luck!

♡ Marketing Major working towards a minor in Graphic Design ♡
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.