This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

With finals right around the corner, these next few weeks are bound to get a bit (more like a lot) stressful. Here are some tips that can be useful to cruise through your finals:

1. Always keep your end goal in mind.

Whether the goal is short-term, such as passing the class, or long-term, such as obtaining your degree or landing your dream job, it is important to keep things in perspective. These finals are just a step you have to take to reach your goals. Write them down in your agenda or put sticky notes around your dorm to keep you motivated!

2. Learn to prioritize.

With multiple finals at a time coming up, it may be hard to focus on studying for many tests at once. Without looking at the schedule to see which exam comes up first, write down a list of your classes and highlight at least one you struggle the most with. Try to commence studying as early as you can for those specific finals that you know will take a little extra work and spend a bit more time on them.

3. Calculate what you need.

Sometimes, it’s hard to conceptualize the importance that finals have on your grade. If you calculate the minimum percentage you need on your finals to obtain the grades you want (using your past grades and your professors’ syllabus) it may hopefully ease your mind. By seeing how they may impact your grade you will know what grade you need to aim for in order to pass the class with the grade you desire.

4. Airplane-mode is the way to go.

At times, it can be a bit difficult to focus your energy on studying. In order to keep distractions to a minimum, a great studying method you can use is putting your phone on airplane mode or in another room. If that’s not enough for you, maybe try to change your studying atmosphere by going to a place that makes you feel more relaxed, such as the university’s library, a local coffee shop, or even a park.

5. Outline the final.

Whether it’s only new material or every past chapter coming on your final, it is important to create a page with the topics are coming on your final to keep in mind the topics that will probably appear on the test.

6. Refresh your memory.

Once you have your subject outline, highlight the topics that you feel you need to review and refresh. Look for videos online about the topics that most trouble you. It may be easier to understand the troubling subjects by looking at different explanations about the same topic.

7. Find your perfect studying interval.

A very effective studying method is to establish a time interval dedicated to studying, and one to relaxing. For example, you can establish a 50-minute time period dedicated to studying, and for those minutes spent on studying, dedicate 10 minutes as free time to look at your phone or cool down. You can establish your own studying-interval to see what routine works best for you.

Hopefully these tips will help you develop better studying habits and maintain yourself focused. Remember that finals are just a short period of time and it’ll be over before you know it. Just remember to stay calm and give them your best effort. Good luck!

♡ Marketing Major working towards a minor in Graphic Design ♡
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.