EXPO RUM 2017: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Expo RUM was held in Plaza Colon here in Mayaguez on Saturday, June 20th and its no secret that it was a great success. For those of you that have never really looked into this event that happens once every semester, it’s basically a showcase for different presentations and prototypes that are designed by students here at UPRM, and this year in collaboration with students from The Pontificia Catholic University of Puerto Rico and the Antillean Adventist University.  EXPO has been going strong ever since it was first held in 2014 in the Business Administration building, and has become a tradition. Dozens of spectators and investors flooded the Plaza to see what new ideas and concepts were being presented. The variety was stunning, including  technology meant to protect the environment, food trucks and services to make college life easier and even 3D printed gadgets. The coolest part of the event is that all of these ideas are brought to life by students, for students, and there were two in particular that are definitely aiming to fit in with the college crowd:

Taco Builder:

Everyone knows that tacos are one of the most popular Mexican dishes for on-the-go, and Taco Builder aims to both, feed its customers and immerse them in the taco building experience. The idea is simple: you choose from different styles of tortillas (with different sizes/ flavors) and build your own taco using a wide variety of ingredients for both meat and veggie lovers. This one is definitely one to watch out for, especially for people that love variety or are constantly on the move and need something that’s easy and fast to eat.

In Vino Veritas:  

This one appeals to the fancier side of street food culture. Through its very concept  answers the age-old question: Do I REALLY want to get a cup of wine on my way to class? The answer is clearly a resounding, yes! With a wide variety of wines and spirits from countries that are known for the quality of their booze, this truck aims to be an affordable alternative to buying wine from any local seller. With a delivery system in the works, you don’t even have to leave the house!  A truck full of dozens of different wines from all over the world? Sounds like a smash hit to me.

This event was bursting with remarkable ideas by the students and creativity, no wonder why it has been such a hit in the last couple of years.

Hi there! My name is Jose Horta, and I'm an English major at UPRM! I'm currently in my second year, and i hope to someday study law and open my own firm! My general interests include bartending, cinema and board games.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.