This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Are you feeling tired, like nothing makes sense anymore? Do you feel like everything you try to do doesn’t work out? Do you always feel out of the group, and no matter how many people you have by your side, you still feel alone? Have you ever felt like you can’t breathe and anxiety is getting the best of you? Then you should keep reading, please.

Everyone goes through a rough patches. I won’t tell you that everything will be okay. I won’t tell you that life will get easier. I won’t tell you that everything will pass and that your life will get better. I certainly haven’t figured out my life nor have the recipe to not face this again. But there is something I can assure you: YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Whether you are dealing with depression, anxiety, or are simply feeling confused, you are not alone. I am more than sure that every person from every generation and nationality has been through a moment just like this one.  

Many people often fake happiness to not have to explain their complicated and confusing thoughts. At least, I know I have done that. However, it’s important to let others in your life. Life is all about meeting people and having each other. Like I said before, you are not alone, honey. Many feel, felt, and will feel just like you do, but it’s part of a process. Even though you may feel like you are all alone and nobody is by your side, you are never alone.

Do you like to look at the stars at night? Yeah, I do too. However, when you look up during the day you can’t see them, but that doesn’t mean they are not there. True friends are just like stars, you just have to believe and watch carefully.

It’s okay to feel lonely. It’s okay to feel confused. It’s okay to not know what to do on a daily basis. Life is a difficult process. The path that is worth taking will always be hard and full of obstacles that will test your abilities. Don’t worry if suddenly everything seems to be going wrong. LIFE IS ALL ABOUT THE PROCESS. At the end of the day, what matters the most is the journey itself and not the destination. Even when you feel like getting away from the path, if you do, I can assure you that you will miss out on meeting new people, going to new places, and discovering new things about yourself. Make the most of the journey: cry, laugh, scream, have fun, but never give up.

Once, someone changed my perspective on life with the following words: “Everyone likes diamonds, everyone wants to have a diamond, but the diamond wasn’t always that beautiful. Before it became a diamond, it was a piece of carbon.” No one likes carbon, I know I didn’t, However, after undergoing the heat of constant fire, it becomes something beautiful and people pay millions for one. And I believe you will too. You will be the shiniest diamond to exist.

Please, never give up on dreaming and living. Life may be hard, but you are stronger. You have enough power to stand up and keep moving forward. KEEP MOVING FORWARD! It’s okay to sit and take a break, but know you won’t be living all your life in the darkness. Look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Learn to dance under the worst storm. Dance your way through life. Dream until you reach the stars. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: BEYOUTIFUL. Remember yourself–you are worth it. You are more than worth it. Stand up and keep slaying all day everyday. You got this! All you need is hope and someone to believe in you…and I do!

In light of Suicide Awareness Week, we will provide our readers with articles displaying narratives of thought, self-reflection, and the reality of the emotions, actions, and struggles we face as students but don’t often discuss. If you or a loved one are going through a difficult time, you’re not alone. One conversation can change a life. To see some statistics about suicide, go and check this link.

Línea PAS: 1-800-981-0023

21 year-old passionate with the idea of becoming a Chemical Engineer and a Writer. In love with the beach, El Colegio and writing her way through history.   The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.  -Helen Keller
Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.