This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Coming from a family that didn’t have the necessary resources to send their kids to college, I personally know the value of being a first-generation undergrad. It is almost as if first-gen carry the weight of an entire legacy on their shoulder from the very first day in college. An exciting feat indeed to accomplish. I remember my first acceptance letter—it wasn’t from a university here in Puerto Rico, and my mother wasn’t even aware I had applied in the US.

The day I told her, the momentary shock of the news washed over her face and turned into an unruly excitement that lasted for months. She would tell everyone and anyone how her daughter was so intelligent she had been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity. Of course, circumstances changed, and I ended up being an adopted daughter of “Colegio.”  

(Cindy Lou/ Daily Trojan)

Like me, I’m sure numerous others have gone through such experiences and can feel the sudden surge of pride that come with the words “first-generation student.” The Center for First-Generation Student Success makes emphasis on “shifting populations entering higher education” and how the continuous “increases in first-generation college student enrollment,  and debate surrounding rising tuition and costs…has positioned the experiences of first-generation college students as a renewed focus across postsecondary education.”

The struggle of surviving

Increasing tuition costs is a big problem nowadays, getting a proper education means that costs triple, and tbh most students don’t have the means to study without loans, a job or even scavenging in the university for additional economic aids. In turn, the academic load gets heavier due to a stress induced panic of how I am going to pay for this? But fear not! It is possible to get through and accomplish your goals.

(Joe Heller)

Finding yourself and friendships

One of the many perks of going to college is discovering yourself, what makes you unique, what studies you would like to further pursue and even what your favorite color is. Being fresh out of high-school, you enter a “whole new world” and start to question what you knew, your likes and dislikes morph into one, and you acquire a second family that will back you up in your new endeavors.

Getting to the finish line

Think about it: one more semester and you get  to walk down the aisle and get your beautiful diploma—that genuinely costly piece of paper that says that all your struggles were worth it and you are finally a professional. The immensity of being the first of your family to graduate sinks in, and you can’t help but feel that you have made your ancestors proud.

This is my last semester as an undergrad and like I said, being a first-gen undergrad makes you feel feel a sense of pride for having accomplished so many things. Maybe  I didn’t get to attend my dream college, but Colegio has turned into quite an adventure. It has given me the opportunity to expand my knowledge in  fields outside my own, meet amazing people along the way that have mentored and nourished my professional skills, which will undoubtedly be my best weapon in the job industry. So never give up first-gen undergrads, if I did it, so can you.

Remember: You’re almost there. Just Keep Going!!

Currently, on her last year as a double major in English Literature and Nursing, Thay has done a little bit of everything in her life. Her biggest dream is to write a book about her family's history in hopes of sharing it with the world. Published her first short story "The Secret of Himself" in Sabanas Magazine this year. Future  antropologist, loves to travel and foster pets and still searches for her one true voice in writing.
B.A. in Political Sciences from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez, currently pursuing an M.A. in Journalism at the Río Piedras campus. Fan of pop culture, media analysis, and Taylor Swift.