AIESEC: the World’s Largest Youth-run Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Have you ever wanted to join an organization with guaranteed traveling opportunities? How about one where your skills will be put to the test and the development of new ones are encouraged? AIESEC is the perfect choice for you.

The Her Campus UPRM team recently sat down with one of AIESEC’s active members, Pedro Matos Llavona, fourth year Geology major. He, among many others, has made the choice to join the world’s largest youth-run organization. It began in 1947, as a consequence from the cultural intolerance between countries that had been the cause of World War II, its main vision consists of world peace, the fulfillment of humankind’s potential, and cultural exchange.

Those who don’t major in science may be worried of not being able to develop  professional skills or gain valuable work experience from internships. However, AIESEC does not focus on a person’s area of study, but rather in helping its members find their potential and develop their leadership skills. This organization will offer you to work within your team in five different areas: marketing, finance and law, talent management, incoming exchange, and outgoing exchange. It does not matter that you lack the knowledge to be in these groups, they will train you.

One does not necessarily need to be part of a student body to be a member, but rather to be a young professional under the age of 30 who wants to develop professional skills and gain work experience by participating in internships.

AIESEC welcomes everyone who wants to find itself in a family environment where everyone has the same goals.

If you would like to know about our local AIESEC organization, they will be offering an info-session this upcoming Tuesday, February 10 in Stefani-306 during University Hour. You can also visit their Facebook page or visit the global AISEC website.

Photos taken from their Facebook page 

Sophia Melissa is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayagüez studying English Literature. She dreams of continuing her studies to become a journalist. Born and raised in Carolina but studying at Mayagüez has given her the opportunity to experience the diversity of her island. A tech geek, book worm, and animal lover at heart, she has always enjoyed helping those around her.