6 Easy Ways to Help You Boost Your Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It’s safe to say that everyone at least once in their lifetime has felt like they aren’t good enough, whether it’s at work, school or in relationships. Although this feeling may be temporary, there are many factors that can take a toll in one’s self esteem such as rejection, a bad grade, or the media, which often forces an impression of what the perfect woman or man should be like. Here are some tips inspired by this list that can help you improve the way you see yourself and get your confidence back.

1. Dress Nicely

Admit it–ther’s nothing like looking in the mirror and knowing you’re killing it. It doesn’t mean that your confidence will depend on your outfit, but dressing nicely is always a confidence booster. Dressing appropriately will show that you care about your image and may also send a message of what you desire to achieve for your job or university. Dress for success!

2. Photoshop Your Self Image

It’s not about changing who you are and how you see yourself–it’s about faking it till you make it. It is so important to recognize our strengths and weaknesses so we can improve them. However,  oftentimes we tend to value ourselves less than what we are worth; catch yourself during those times  of self-deprecation and fix your view of yourself.

3. Analyze why you feel this way

Journaling or talking to someone can be a key move in this process. Think  back in time to when  your self-worthstarted to decline, why and who or what made it go that way. In my case, I found an old diary from when I was in middle school and I started to question myself and analyze the situations I have been through  for me to feel this way about myself, and surely enough, I found the issue.

4. Stand Tall

Good posture is something that we tend to forget about, but it is one of the first things people notice about us. When people slouch, in body language terms, that means that they are insecure or that they lack strength. Good posture shows confidence and self-control.

5. Focus On Solutions

It is so easy to focus on the negative things that happen to us or surround us, but when you focus on solving problems rather than drowning in them, you can see the brighter side of things and trust yourself that you will and are working towards reaching your goals.  

6. Empower yourself with knowledge

At times we can feel less competent and at the worst of them,  worthless garbage really, when we see people around campus that are so undeniably smart. That alone can take a toll on our self-confidence. However, if you don’t feel like you’re good enough, work a little harder on yourself to improve and increase your level of competence. If you lack a certain skill that is key in your major or field of interest, you may have to work a little harder than everyone to acquire it, but that attempt alone will make you feel better about yourself.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM. 
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.