Wellness > Mental Health

5 Strategies for Dealing With Stress and Anxiety During Remote Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Despite what some people believe, online classes are a big challenge. In a few days, we will reach one year since college as we knew it changed. This happened so abruptly that we were sitting at our houses in front of a screen before we could process what was going on. By that time, we had little idea of the effects online classes were going to have on our mental health.

The thing about online classes is that, no matter how good they can be, they can’t substitute in-person learning. Being in front of a screen for up to 10 hours a day affects students slowly and silently. This change has brought a wave of stress, anxiety, and demotivation. As reported by The Beacon,” According to a study conducted in June, 75% of college students reported feeling more anxious or stressed due to online learning.” 

However, there are some strategies and techniques that may help you deal with this situation. Here, I will be sharing a few of them with you.

1) Take a break from technology

Technology has taken our lives. Now we use it for almost everything: shopping, going to college, medical appointments, meeting with friends, and the list keeps going. It seems as if we can’t escape our phones and laptops. 

However, taking a break from it is crucial. Being over exposed to technology has many side effects like sleep problems , chronic neck and back pain, depression, and anxiety.  

I know it is hard to completely disconnect from our phones and laptops, but taking 15 to 30 minute breaks with no technology will be beneficial. You can do this by playing with your pets, sitting outside, reading, painting, and working on any of your hobbies. 

2) Workout 

I am sure that we have all heard about the benefits of working out, including stress and anxiety reduction. But it deserves to be written about because of how true this is. 

Going to the gym right now can be difficult; however, this is not an impediment to workout at home. I have been working out at home for about a year, and I love it. There are different types of workouts for everyone’s preferences and levels of difficulty. 

Besides being beneficial to your physical health, working out helps to release energy and accumulated stress. If you need extra motivation and guidance, check out some awesome workout Youtube channels.

Keep in mind that, for a better sleep, it’s better to workout out in the morning or afternoon (basically several hours before bed) so one can feel tired out at night. An Article from Spoon University mentions that it “is not recommended to workout before going to sleep, simply because your heart rate and temperature are up.”

3) Create an organized and comfortable routine

It is hard to find the motivation to wake up early and take classes while being at home; this can lead to procrastination and a messed-up schedule. 

Creating a routine that’s flexible and comfortable gives you a mindset for productivity and motivation. I recommend setting up a time for waking up, taking your classes, doing chores, homework, cooking, relaxing, and everything else that you do throughout your day. 

A schedule or routine is not there to stress you. On the contrary, a routine is there to guide you. It is perfectly okay if some days you don’t feel like following your schedule. The important thing is that you feel comfortable and calm while having a guide that helps you organize yourself. 

4) Find a balance 

Having a balance is essential at college because it is so easy to get overwhelmed and stressed. You are under constant deadlines, requirements, pressures, and that is not easy. On top of all of that, you also have family situations, personal problems, and more.

Finding a balance between your work and the things you do, will reduce your stress. It is important to be responsible, but you need your physical and mental health to do this. Take care of your mental health and your body above all things. If you do so, you will feel better when doing your work. No matter what aspect of your life you apply it to, if you have a healthy balance between working and having fun, things will be much better. 

Think about how much time and energy you are spending on the things you do, and see if they are worth it. 

5) Communicate your feelings

It has not been easy to maintain strong communication with others—mostly because we don’t see our friends and family as much as we used to. This has caused many people to get used to being alone and not sharing how they feel. 

When you talk about what is stressing you and making you anxious with someone you trust, you feel better. It helps so much to have emotional support! 

Make sure to keep in contact with your friends. Call each other on the weekends and create activities through zoom meetings. Text or call your family and friends whenever you need someone to talk to or just to know how they are doing. Join an association or a support group. Whatever you do, make sure that you are maintaining relationships and expressing to others how you feel. 

Valeria Martinez is a senior writer at Her Campus UPRM. This is her fourth year on Her Campus. She focuses on writing about popular culture, social issues, and mental health. She also completed an internship with Her Campus Media. Beyond Her Campus, Valeria is a Digital Marketing intern for Puerto Rico Wire Group. She also interned for the non-profit organization Thirst Project, managing their socials and creating content for them. One of her poems is to be published in Sabanas Bilingual Magazine. She currently works as a Digital Marketing intern. Valeria is an English Literature undergraduate student also doing a minor in Writing and Communications at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus. In her free time, Valeria loves going to the beach, reading, the movies, and cafe hopping. She is also a musical enthusiast and theatre kid who can't go out most of the time because "she's got practice." Her ultimate goal is to become a Journalist focusing on Latin Communities. She plans to move to NYC to Graduate School at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at the City University of New York next year.
Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.