This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Summer may be ending, but let’s face the facts: we live in a tropical island where it will ALWAYS be hot. The heat will be lingering for as long as you live here and you can change your clothes depending on the weather, but what about your hair? The new school semester is starting, and you and your hair ache for a change.

1. You can donate your lovely locks to other kids and women who need them

Companies such as Locks of Love and Wigs for Kids are looking for donors to give in to a new style and donate their hair for people suffering from cancer and other diseases that stop hair production. Also, the satisfaction of donating hair is grand, as you know your decision will make kids out there smile .For instance, last year, HC made a hair drive, and I was proudly one of them representing my grandmother who was undergoing treatment for breast cancer.

2. The heat!

Let’s face it, the temperature won’t get any lower unless the world starts to end, and regardless of it even falling a bit, you’ll still be hot. We live on a tropical island! Get yourself that Mia Wallace-inspired hair you’ve always wanted, but don’t go overboard. Or do, if you wish. In fact, do whatever you want!

3. You’ve probably had the same haircut since the 6th grade

The times… they are a-changin’. It’s time to get over your fear of your stylist possibly cutting your split ends too much  and get the haircut you’ve been pinning on Pinterest for the last few months. Chop it off! Give it some color! Go big! Go bold! Go natural, even!

4. Cutting off your hair will make you feel like you’ve lost weight

Seriously, if you’ve had long hair for as long as I did (for many, many, many years) you will literally feel a weight lift off your shoulders, as if all of your sins have been vanished thanks to cutting off your locks (they’ve seen you sin enough). Get a fresh, new start on this semester! Maybe even get the bangs you’ve been hesitating to get for months.

5. The weight you’ve been carrying on for years may be hurting you, and it might seem that you’re constantly carrying a relic of who you used to be.

Break-ups, personality changes, and transitioning from a high-schooler to a collegiette; these things happen. Make every semester count. There’s nothing more satisfying than getting a haircut that many people might have told you to not do because otherwise you’ll be “ruining your hair,” because that’s clearly BS. Life moves on and hair grows back, so go be that bold, beautiful woman you want to reflect through the style of your hair!

Fabiola del Valle is 22 y/o English Lit. major studying at UPRM. She currently holds the position of Campus Correspondent and karaoke queen.
Claudia is a witchy English Literature and International Affairs major from La Parguera. She's worked in various on-campus projects, such as the MayaWest Writing Project and as a tutor at the English Writing Center. In addition, she's worked at Univision and has also been published in El Nuevo Día and El Post Antillano. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, you can find Claudia tweeting something snarky and pushing boundaries as a Beyoncé expert. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram, @clauuia.