5 Reasons Rachel Berry is a Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Rachel Berry is one of the main characters from the popular TV series, Glee. Rachel is an ambitious young woman who has dreamt of being in the Broadway stages since she was born. Though she is somewhat obnoxious and nobody really likes her at the beginning of the series, she is an outstanding singer and performer, and is one of those characters you can learn a lot from.

1. She always believed in herself and the power of her talent.

Rachel was very confident in her singing abilities and would often go head-to-head in competitions against her own classmates to prove that she was the best singer in the group. Though her classmates would be often annoyed at her, they recognized she was one of the best singers and really respected her talent.  

2. She always worked hard for what she wanted.

Rachel was in every single club at McKinley High and would wake up everyday extra early to work out and practice songs just in case any solo was thrown her way. She would do anything and go through anyone to get a solo and the spotlight.

3. She wouldn’t let anything or anyone come between her and what she wanted.

Rachel always knew that “the top is a lonely place,” and though she loved Finn and her friends, she knew that Broadway was her destiny.

4. Even though she was highly criticized and made fun of, she never let that stop her.

Before joining the Glee club, Rachel was always by herself; everyone in school made fun of her and nobody really liked her. Once she joined the New Directions Glee Club, her classmates were always criticizing her for her, somewhat, obnoxious and bossy ways. However, she always knew she was good enough and she stood up for herself and her talent.  

5. Although she made many mistakes, she always learned from them and kept going.

Rachel left college to star in a Broadway remake of Funny Girl (which was all she ever wanted in life), she dropped out of that too to pursue acting in a TV show in Los Angeles, California, which got cancelled. Sometimes the things that we want most don’t work out like we expect them to. So Rachel goes back to her roots and helps the Glee club win the Show Choir competitions while figuring her life out and finding a way to be in the spotlight again. Eventually, she goes back to college and makes her way back to Broadway. She could’ve been discouraged from the fact that she had worked so hard and was left with nothing, but instead she started from zero and found her way to the top again.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM. 
Her Campus at UPRM