5 Reasons Kristaps Porzingis is a Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

We all have someone we look up to (literally, he’s 7’3”). As kids and adults there is always someone who motivates us to reach our goals and  who provokes us to say to ourselves, “I want to be more like them.” In my case, as unlikely as it seems, it is Kristaps Porzingis, from Liepaja, Latvia. Kristaps was the fourth overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft, chosen by the New York Knicks, and ever since then he has been making history. Here’s why he is a role model:

1. His dedication.

He worked his whole life to be where he is today; he has been playing basketball since he was 6 years old and played for his hometown team (Liepaja) and for Sevilla until he was drafted.  

2.  His ambition.

Even though he has been the only rookie to score more than a 1,000 points, he always talks about not being as good as he wants to be.

3. Family.

He keeps himself grounded by surrounding himself with his family. They live with him in New York, so he is focused on his goals and work and doesn’t lose sight of them.

4. His humility.

Kristaps was booed on his draft day. Every Knicks fan was mad and saying that the Knicks made a mistake when drafting him. Kristaps just ignored the comments and even said that he was expecting this kind of reaction. After having proven himself on the NBA floor, this now fan, who was widely recognized on social media for booing Kris, took a picture with Kristaps . Kris just laughed it off and shared the picture on his social media accounts.

5. His life philosophy.

Do what you love the best you can, not for fame or money and success will follow.

In conclusion, Kristaps Porzingis  is a great example to follow. He inspires me every day to give it my all and work hard to achieve my goals.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM. 
Her Campus at UPRM