This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

It took me three days to begin writing this article. Not because I’d been toiling away on my research and expanding my ideas through elaborate mind maps like movie montages would have you imagine—that only took a few hours. Instead, I kept putting it off because I couldn’t effectively manage my writing anxiety. At the first sign of distress, I made excuses for myself (as usual) to delay the inevitable. Let me just read for a bit and then I’ll get started. It’s too late, I’ll begin first thing in the morning. Since I wanted these promises to be true, I believed myself every time. 

Now, on the third day, almost at midnight, I’ve run out of plausible excuses. I can’t convince myself anymore, and I’m ashamed to admit that this cycle of avoidance has been the norm for too long. However much I love writing, I always find a way to put it off; I could go months without writing a single sentence because I can’t control my anxiety. It was only recently that I made the decision to work through it. I wanted to find ways to manage the overwhelming pressure I felt, but the tips I found online didn’t exactly work for me. So, I devised my own methods, and I’m happy to say they’ve gotten me to where I am now: sitting at my computer, writing this article for you.

1. Read more!

When I want to write, there is perhaps nothing as stifling as the fear of not having the right words. There are moments where I sit at my desk, pen and paper in hand, and I find that my mind is more blank than the page. This fear has kept the right words out of my reach for a long time. It’s only when I read that I can feel better about my work; reading repairs the breach between me and my words, thus empowering me to express myself with more fluidity and self-assurance. 

According to Writer’s Edit, “The more you read, the more you’ll learn about the craft, and the more you’ll have to take back to your own practice as you continue developing your own writing skills.” By reading regularly, you will be equipped with the tools you need to put your feelings and ideas into words. Whenever I incorporate reading into my daily routine, I don’t struggle nearly as much with my writing anxiety. I promise you will see results after just one book!

2. Start writing

This is definitely easier said than done, but it’s the only way to begin. Instead of aiming for your best, try writing the worst you possibly can. By giving yourself permission to write badly, you challenge your fear of failure and begin to ease into the writing process. This way, you can succeed by writing terribly. Doesn’t that sound great?

Remember that whenever you decide you aren’t going to write you’re rewarding your decision to give up. If you continuously give in to your desire to postpone what matters to you, you will find it easier to give up each time. Working against the impulse to call it quits can be very daunting, and you will probably fail many times along the way—but that’s okay! What matters most is that you’re trying to improve. 

3. Think of the worst-case scenario

Begin by asking yourself the following question: What is the worst that can happen if I fail? Let me use myself as an example. As I write this, I’m incredibly worried about the quality and potency of my work. I ask myself, “What if this article is terrible?” Now, I must answer this question honestly, rather than posing it rhetorically. What would actually happen if this was a bad article? Nothing really. It doesn’t mean I’m destined to fail as a writer, no matter how many times I tell myself it does. If I take a moment to consider this realistically, I’ll realize that no one’s success can hinge on something as small as an article. This fear is just based on one of the many stories I have been telling myself for years.   

When we think about failing, we usually associate it with bigger stories we have made about ourselves. Because of this, we take failure to mean many things, like “I will never succeed.” This is why it’s important to ask ourselves what beliefs we have about certain situations and realize they’re just stories that aren’t based on reality. Instead of letting these stories control us, we could rewrite them in ways that are more conducive to personal growth. For example, in my case, I could accept that (if I write a bad article) I could learn from my mistakes and improve as a writer. 

4. Change your environment

To change our habits, we must change our environment. Since we often rely on environmental triggers, we could potentially use our surroundings to adopt any habit. Begin by selecting a time you could reserve for your writing, and write every day at that specific hour (you can even set an alarm on your phone as a reminder). Then choose a setting in which you can work best; the optimal environment varies from person to person — some would opt for the ambient noise and warmth of a coffee shop, while others would prefer the calm and order of their bedroom. It’s up to you! To finish shaping your environment, choose a specific notebook and pen (or pencil) to work with. If you write with the same tools in the same place with consistency, you will come to associate these elements with writing, and starting the writing process will be much easier for you. 

Andrea Méndez Igartua is pursuing a major in psychology and a minor in writing and communications. She's passionate about reading and writing, and hopes to publish a novel one day.