Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television
Style

15 style tips to make you look like the Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Gilmore Girls is an iconic piece of pop culture that has stood the test of time with its witty dialogue, unique storylines, complicated family dynamics and its incredibly real look at relationships and friendships. Having said all that, if you’re a real fan of the show, you should already know that the style is just as important and influential in the process of maintaining popularity with our public conscience of the series. It’s safe to say that Brenda Maden, the costume designer for the show, knew what she was doing when styling our favorite characters. And with the back to school season being officially upon us, I think it’s the perfect place to look for style inspiration. So, without further ado, here are 10 style tips to make you look like some of our favorite characters from Gilmore Girls:

1. Grab yourself a cute graphic tee – preferably a baby tee:

Just because something is simple doesn’t mean it can’t be a staple in your wardrobe. And just like Lorelai Gilmore, all of us have a cute graphic tee stuffed somewhere in the back of our closets. Think of it as a base to a potentially good outfit and if not, just a simple thing for you to wear when you don’t want to spend a lot of effort, but still want to appear put together. 

1. Jeans and a cute chunky sweater will do the trick:

I know that with the recent heat this might not seem too practical, but there’s always ways around it. You can pair a plain top with some jeans that have a little flair and carry a cardigan for when it gets cold (maybe because of the weather or because you take classes in a room with AC). If not, you can wait it out until fall comes along and then you can rock that clunky sweater you had for a while.

1. Don’t be afraid to mix it up with a funky hat:

Lorelai Gilmore is no stranger to funky hats, in fact she has worn a few of them throughout the show. Sometimes when we’re missing something in our nearly perfect outfit and don’t know what to put, that’s when you look for that specially weird hat to pull the whole thing together. Whether it’s a pager boy hat, a beanie, a trucker hat or one of those blossom style hats. It’ll do the trick!

1. A simple plaid shirt can work too:

I think we can all agree with Luke when we say a good plaid shirt can do no wrong when putting an outfit together. Layering is a very important thing that we should all implement in our wardrobe and the perfect job to a good layering begins with a plaid shirt. I’m sure most of us have at least one plaid shirt in our closet, and if you don’t you can always steal one from your brother (don’t worry, in case you don’t have a brother, you can always go thrifting for a good one).

13 going on 30 closet?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios
  1. Be experimental and try wearing some tights with a skirt:

This one might appear scary for some, but trust me it will elevate your outfit to a whole new level. Start with a pair black tights as a good base, just to get the lay of the land, and if you feel confident enough you can experiment with some funky pattern ones to add a touch of whimsy to the fit.

1. Emily Gilmore is an underrated style icon:

All of us have a little bit of Emily Gilmore in us, it just takes a bit of time to unleash it. I’m not saying go running to the nearest department store and buy a couple of suits and call it a day. Instead, take some artistic inspiration from her staple wardrobe; for instance, her classic trouser that she wears with a button up, or the very cute matching sets she wears to her meeting with the Daughters of the American Revolution. And best of all are her country club outfits to make you feel like one of those rich girls at the golf club. I almost forgot silk, lots of silk!

1. Mix and match your patterns:

Don’t be afraid to combine unlike patterns together to create a new and unique ensemble. I know it’s scary territory for most, so begin with similar colors that have different patterns. Remember that as long as it’s in the same hue of colors then it will mesh and look good together. Then, as you get more accustomed to the idea of clashing patterns you can experiment more with complimentary colors that are in the opposing families.

1. Go preppy and try your best to look like one of the Chilton girls:

Both Madeline and Louise had amazing looks throughout the series, often mixing preppy with alternative 00s style. They achieve this by styling traditional preppy clothing (such as cardigans, vests, button ups, short tennis skirts, etc.) with more eclectic and whimsy accessories. To achieve this you can try finding pieces that resemble the prep style with unique and bold colors; for instance, instead of gravitating towards a muted brown shade of cardigan or vest, try looking for one in a bolder and brighter color. Use tons of accessories like hairclips, chunky jewelry and weird rings,  some belts with character, quirky handbags and most important of all fun shoes!

1. Paris Geller can do no wrong:

For those of us who aren’t that into the fashion scene and are more focused on our academic achievements, Paris Geller should be our unspoken style icon. Not only is she always right, but she’s also an underrated fashionista. To the untrained eye it might seem like she’s wearing the most mundane clothes imaginable, but believe me when I say she knows what she’s doing. She brings a fresh new take to the uptight overachiever girl starter pack, by wearing cute floral dresses, long skirts, lots of turtlenecks and best of all her staple Mary Jane shoes. She also cleverly layers her clothes with vests, button ups, chunky sweaters, ties, etc. – I mean who doesn’t love a good tie. If you’re not sure just look at her Yale outfits and I’m sure that you’ll find something to like.

1. Turtleneck are a girl’s best friend:

If there’s something I have learned while watching Gilmore Girls over the years, it’s that a good turtleneck will get you a long way in life. With that being said, I believe anybody should have at least one turtleneck in their closet; it can be a traditional one,  sleeveless, or knitted and maybe even with a pattern. It doesn’t matter as long as it qualifies as a turtleneck.

1.  Be alternative and channel your inner rockstar:

Lane might have been done dirty in the show, but at least she had an awesome wardrobe. If you like wearing oversized clothes, band tees, funky pants, lots of cool belts and worn out sneakers, Lane Kim is the girl for you. Not to mention, the clothes she’s forced to wear by Mrs. Kim are also really cute.

Gradient Standard Hero Template 2?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Warner Bros. Television
  1. Borrow Dean’s signature leather jacket:

Dean might be the worst, but at least he had a really cool leather jacket. And if there’s one thing you could have as an everyday item, it should be a Dean’s leather jacket. Try looking for one the next time you thrift or buy one online on ebay.

1. Dress for success, but stylish:

If you ever have to wear business attire, don’t fuss about it, instead use it as an opportunity to have fun with office attire. Lorelai has fun with her clothes, by pairing a flowy skirt with a nice turtleneck, or a blazer with a short skirt, black tights and cute Mary Jane style shoes. Remember, just because something is more reserved doesn’t make it any less exciting.  

HBO
  1. Jackson is the perfect guy for style inspo:

Believe me, I was just as surprised when I discovered that Jackson – aka the grumpy produce guy – has some of the best styled looks in the show. It goes to show that guys too can pull off a good fit. The man knows how to style; whether it be a good pair of overall jeans and a knitted sweater or a cool statement beanie. Sometimes all we need are a few basics to assemble a nice and practical outfit. 

Other notable mentions are Kirk, Christopher and Tristan. They all give a simple and effortless style to the clothes they’re wearing.

1. Be wild and explore your inner French girl:

Michel is the original French girl and no one can change my mind. So, like Michel, you should entertain the idea of wearing something a la french girl aesthetic. It can be frilly blouses, or cute capri pants, some simple trousers and blazers, and I mean lots of blazers. Either way, it can be a fun and new thing to try and see if you like.

In the end, you can wear whatever you want as long as it makes you happy and comfortable. There’s for sure tons more style tips that I could write about, but I’m sure that 15 will do just fine for now.  I hope that any of these tips seem useful enough for you to try and maybe even recommend more. If you haven’t watched Gilmore Girls you should and if you have, feel free to rewatch it again for the inspiration and if not just for the fun of it. That’s all!

Patricia Ortiz is a dedicated writer for Her Campus at the UPRM chapter. As a sophomore majoring in both History and English, she consistently showcases her passion for entertainment, fashion and pop culture through her articles. She hopes one day to become a fashion historian, or at the very least, contributing to a leading fashion magazine. Outside of her studies and writing, her interests are diverse. She has a keen eye for fashion, often drawing inspiration from both past and present. An avid movie buff, she enjoys delving into films from various parts of the worlds, decades and genres. Some of her current favorites include “Clue”, “Young Frankenstein” and, “The Thin Man”. Her musical tastes are equally eclectic, with a particular fondness for the soulful melodies of Lana Del Rey. Above all, she is known for her drive and commitment. She’s a self-proclaimed overachiever, always looking for ways to better herself and support her peers. Whether in the classroom, writing, or just engaging with others, she is always ready to lend a helping hand, ensuring that everyone around her reaches their utmost potential.