galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

On Valentine’s Day, we’re used to seeing couples celebrate romantically as if anniversaries and date nights weren’t already enough. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but what about celebrating friendships and the single people out there? Well, in spite of all the heart-shaped balloons, the delicious chocolates, and the color red splattered everywhere as if a piñata exploded, I propose to those of us who wish to become our own Valentine on February 14th to make it a special day for ourselves. We shall call it ValenMine Day! In honor of this extra-special day, I will paint you a picture of what this date day could look like.

Start your day early with some popping jams that will make you groove and shake while you get ready to head out.  

Related: Jams to Start Your Day Feeling Empowered 

Go to your favorite breakfast or brunch place and treat yourself to a nice meal. Although it’s fun to do this with friends, the challenge is to go by yourself to learn how to enjoy your own company. It might feel weird or scary and you might feel tempted not to do it or be on your phone the whole time, BUT embrace it. Enjoy the moment with yourself and acknowledge what’s around you.

Photo by Jill Wellington from Pexels

After your belly is satisfied, make an appointment (in advance) to go to a spa. Get a massage, a facial, a mani-pedi, or everything your heart, body, and soul desires. You can also go to a salon or choose between a spa and a salon. If you’re running on a tight budget, don’t worry girl, D.I.Y. it! You can do your own nails at home, put a face mask on, take a bubble bath, and simply allow yourself to detoxify and rejuvenate.

Once you’re relaxed, do an activity of your choosing. Go shopping, go to the movies, go to a park (or your home) and read a book, go to a museum, take a cooking class… Whatever you’ve always wanted to do. Remember to do it by yourself. 

Once the day comes to an end you can either get glammed up and call up your girlfriends to go clubbing, or you can continue your relaxation at home with some Netflix and (actual) chill the night away.

Related: A Single Girl’s Guide to Self-Care

The Lalasipping Coffee In Bed
Her Campus Media

Happy ValenMine Day to everyone!

I believe in spreading light and positivity anywhere we find ourselves. I encourage self-love and in lifting our sisters up to be better, stronger, and more confident women. For that, I'm excited to be part of this platform that will allow me to voice my thoughts and share them with amazing ladies interested in starting conversations. Lots of love and positive vibes to everyone.