Life > Experiences

‘Tis The Damn Season: Why The Holidays Don’t Feel So Festive Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this word lately, it’s probably my favorite word at the moment: Magic. I love the way it sounds, the way it looks, the way it feels. And what’s more magical than the holiday season when everyone is a little more happy, a little more cheery, and simply a little more festive.

Even though I love the word magic, and I tend to associate it with this time of year, I must admit, lately I feel like the holidays have been losing their spark; yet I feel like that’s on me. Sometimes I feel too much, expect too much, imagine too much, so much so that when the time comes, it doesn’t feel as magical as I wanted it to be.

B03xcbUp HTNLY4 rHGf lr8lhnnSt4OA2DsHNAdv Ncc01JRT60sOLaKPVoVhbBKIoggwAoITt2RRsNcQr6RfFOV EIUmis4ii7uughzuowZ00uo3W0kA3x1ekygs7HxEC5Rg AGr sNaKzz0oNY6g

Photo by Chinda Sam on Unsplash

I promise I won’t make this dramatic by talking about how, as we get older, the holiday festivities lose their touch of magic, and it doesn’t feel the same as when we were kids. Here’s the thing, there is still magic in the air, I’ve just personally never been able to feel it as much; only sparks and glimpses in the past few years. 

Perhaps it’s the whole being too busy to stop and see the new decorations at the mall; or trying to catch up in life; or I wonder if it’s because I’m now realizing that it’s my turn to make them magical now.

My parents barely have the time to sneak Christmas gifts for my sister and I, and let’s be honest, I call myself the Department of Gift Giving For *Insert My Sister’s Name Here*. It’s a fun temporary job, but I didn’t exactly apply for it. 

My recurring thought is that the holidays don’t feel so festive anymore, because I’ve decided to focus on the bad. On my divided family, of always knowing what the gifts will be, on the food that I don’t enjoy (sorry not sorry, I’m a picky eater). Instead of getting excited over decorating my room as opposed to seeing it as a chore, or getting excited because I get to give and wrap presents and bring magic to the little ones in the family.

Photo by Rinck Content Studio on Unsplash

We don’t need a winter wonderland, or hot cocoa nights to enjoy the holidays, we don’t need to depend on others, or feel obligated to spend the festivities with people that don’t make your festivities magical. That’s another thing I’ve realized as I’ve been growing up. I get to choose who I spend the magical time with. Just because it’s tradition does not mean I have to go to this house, or see these people. I want to make my own holiday traditions, my own magic as I get older with the people that make me feel like the colder months mean there’s a spark of goodness in the air.

R4ylf x6KYNdubZl6wEY lbsQChZ3YXOjVpPKClbnYvbYe5cLt fsq1f0cXDTQo7rrKW10hQOCFBtjRYaEUKzjypIPqmwMgGZtQtF3J3UVQQcmJdhaYKe6KUTg6hw0tBRV9z2C4fWMqso BrP0RD2kc

Photo by freestocks on Unsplash

Despite spending years believing I was too old for the fun part of the holidays, I still believe there’s some sort of magic in the world that lives within all of us, and we can create whatever we wish with it. With my magic, I decide that I won’t let the festivities in my family go unlived, I will make the holidays the most magical yet.

Lots of love,

Happy Holidays 🎄,

Lya 🤎

Lilliana Correa Garcia is a wellness and experience writer at the Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. She focuses on topics such as mental health, self love and having the best college experience even if it may be an unusual one. She also adds a bit of her hobbies such as books and creative endeavors to her storytelling. Beyond Her Campus, Lilliana works as a Jr. Executive at Rosado Toledo& where she helps maintain a clear communication between brands and the agency and makes sure the clients’ needs are being met on a daily basis. She has worked as a freelance social media manager for small businesses such as restaurants and hair salons. She interned in the advertising agency previously mentioned which opened the doors for her to join the team part time. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. In her free time, Lilliana enjoys indulging herself in fantasy novels and woking on a draft of her current novel. She also loves visiting coffee shops around her area to spend time catching up with her friends. She’s a whole hearted Swiftie and is committed to learn every single song by heart.