This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Being a millenial is hard work: school, internships, jobs, grad applications, extracurricular activities, a social life, and volunteer work are just some of the things we’re expected to balance, and we face constant scrutiny because of the ever-present glare of social media. When we add dating into the mix of our already busy lifestyle, it’s no wonder many have taken a liking to the quick and easy wonder apps that don’t take much time or energy but give big results. However, we may or may not have paved the road towards doom by creating a number of questionable dating apps that could be more trouble than fun. We’re lookin’ at you, Tinder.

What is Tinder? According to the Tinder website: “Tinder is the fun way to connect with new and interesting people around you. Swipe right to like or left to pass. If someone likes you back, it’s a match! Chat with a match or snap a photo to share a Moment with all of your matches at once. Moment is a new way to express yourself and share with friends.” Tinder is kind of like a secret little black book that quite a few people on campus share. HCUPR asked some of these Tinder users questions. Here’s what they answered:

According to a UPR homo cabrónus:

“People here in Puerto Rico don’t get Tinder, they want to have long in-depth conversations; it’s really just for sex.”

HCUPR: Do you get matched with just any random person?

“Well, you adjust your preferences. That means that you can be matched with anyone by proximity, gender and the age you choose.” -Michelle*

“I got matched with my best friend! It was so funny because we both hit like and teased each other for it.” -Gabriel*

“My best friend got matched with my boyfriend’s ex. It was gross.”

HCUPR: How do the chats usually go?

“You get matched with some crazy people on the app, it’s mostly a bunch of bellacos, though.” -Adrianna* 

“They kind of vary. I’ve heard of casual hook-ups and I’ve also heard of a couple who actually met through Tinder. Who knew?”

HCUPR: Have you met anyone from Tinder?

“The guy was really easy to talk to, but it was a little awkward. I think people who go on this app are hoping to get laid, and when they don’t get that, you can see the disappointment in their faces.” -Jessica*

“I don’t have Tinder but plenty of my friends do, and sometimes we’ll see someone walking around campus and they’ll say something, like, ‘Oh, we matched on Tinder’. I find that kind of weird, how you can say ‘I find you attractive; let’s hook up’ online but then ignore each other in person.” – Gabriela*

So whether you’re in it for engaging conversation or have other, um, reasons, please exercise caution whenever using any online site. Even more so when it comes to meeting up with strangers. To be clear, it’s an app to meet new people, but the extent of its use is up to your discretion. What is most often overlooked is how this accurately reflects the way our campus has taken to meeting people. Although it might be a scary thought, initiating a conversation with someone is just as effective as swiping right, because in an age of technology, a good conversation is the best aphrodisiac. 

*All names have been changed