This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

After such an eventful 2017, it can be an overwhelming thought to think that there is a whole New Year up ahead. This is especially true when 2017 proved itself to be tiring and demanding. It’s always important to think of all the great things 2018 will bring to everyone and keep a positive outlook towards it. After such an impactful year, it’s important to know that there are still so many great things to come!

1. Movies

The number of movies to look forward to this New Year are both overwhelming and reassuring. And there are plenty of them and from all types, from superhero movies such as Black Panther, X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Deadpool 2 and Infinity War (just to name a few) to book adaptations like Love, Simon; Everyday, and A Wrinkle In Time. Mamma Mia!’s sequel just released the trailer just a few weeks ago which must be on the list of every fan of musicals. And for the fans of Sandra Bullock and Rihanna (like myself) an action-packed film, called Oceans 8, starting both of these actresses (and Anne Hathaway!) will be released on June 8.

And we cannot forget, the movie that we have all been waiting for, the release of Incredibles 2 this summer!

2. Books

Embracing our inner bookworm won’t be hard this year! Many releases accompany this new year and we could be more excited. Let’s start with Red Clocks by Leni Zumas, a new dystopian novel set in America where abortion is illegal and fetuses have more rights than women. Also from a female author is Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi. This one is more of a psychological genre where the “voices” of Ada narrate this girl’s life as she moves from Nigeria to attend college in America. Along those lines of psychological books, Oliver Loving by Stefan Merrill Block also hits the market.

On a different note, what about some short stories? Well if you think you know every children’s tale, why not try twisted children’s stories? The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror by Mallory Ortberg will definitely do the trick.

3. Series and TV Shows

For all series and TV show lovers that need a lot more than just an hour and fifty minutes worth of content, 2018 will be the year for you. Of course, your favorite shows will continue such as The OA, 13 Reasons Why, The Magicians, Riverdale, Grey’s Anatomy, Jane the Virgin, The Walking Dead and the much-awaited Sense8 Finale. But aside from those, new shows are on their way like Grown-ish, a Black-ish spinoff that follows the Johnson’s eldest daughter Zoey as she heads off to college. 

The Chi is a new drama show that follows the story of a young African-American man coming of age. Black Lightning, a new DC superhero series also hits the public eye soon. Talking about superheroes, Marvel also makes a come back with popular shows like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones!

4. New Music

To have an idea what your Soundtrack for the next year is gonna be like just know that artists from all your favorite genres are releasing new music. For those still stuck in our emo phase, Fall Out Boy will release their new album Mania on January 19th. Also, bands such as Black Veil Brides, Gorillaz, MGMT,  Vampire Weekend and 1975 have been announcing new albums for the following year. Be on the lookout for artists like Camila Cabello, Troye Sivan, Jennifer Lopez, Major Lazer and Kanye West who are rumored to release new music next year that will most certainly make your 2018 lit.

5. Video Games

2018 comes jam-packed with new video games and continuations for already popular games. God of War will bring a new gory adventure while battling Gods, Red Dead Redemption will finally release its sequel and Far Cry will release its fifth game. New releases like We Happy Few and Detroit: Becoming Human will be hitting the market soon. We Happy Few has been getting extra hype based on its BioShock style and its interesting character setting where the player in this games tries to survive in a community filled with drug addicts. Also, an awaited remake of Final Fantasy 7 will definitely make worth updating your gear. There is also the possibility that 2018 will bring Kingdom Hearts III and we remain hopeful that it will also be the case with The Last of Us Part II (for which we are dying for) and a new Kojima Productions game, Death Stranding!

6. New Memes

Every new year comes with different memes that bring smiles to everyone’s face (as long as the meme is not harmful or problematic). I’m confident we can all agree on that with every passing month we are looking forward to the next new meme trend. 2018 better not disappoint us! Here’s a year with top notch quality memes that make us enjoy our lives a little more (in the midst of all the chaos that it is life)!

7. New Possibilities

Let’s hope that this new year brings us emotional stability, money, and good relationships. May our new friends fill our lives with laughter and parties. May our new lovers fill our lives with care, tenderness, and affection. Hurray to leaving toxic people in our past along with our demons and bad vibes. Fingers crossed for good grades and better semesters. May we accomplish our goals and those pesky resolutions. Cheers for better versions of ourselves and better environments. Let’s cheer and hope for life!

8. Personal Growth

A New Year is the perfect way to get motivated and find ways to become a better person. To this one can write a realistic New Year’s Resolution list and find viable ways to achieve these goals. It might be overwhelming at first but it can be surprising how much can one accomplish in three hundred and sixty-five days. Although it might sound cliché: you can accomplish everything you put your mind to.

9. One Year Closer to the End of the Trump Era

With less than a year in the White House, President Donald Trump has proven to be an annoyance. I think most can agree that there is a collective eagerness to see these four years pass quickly. Especially Twitter is obsessed, and open sexual predator, leave the White House once and for all. As every Presidency has a counter-reaction, one can only hope that the next President is a Trans Queer Latina Woman that will do all the damage control that Trump has caused. Wishful thinking maybe, but one can hope.

With all these entertaining upcoming who wouldn’t want to start 2018! Let’s leave  2017 in the past and move forward with lots of positivity and hope for what awaits. May the new year bless us with lots of memes, movies, books, and music.

And Let 2018 be the year of change and self-growth!

Cheers!

Ariana studies English Literature at UPR-RP. She loves the concept of rainy days: books, blankets, hot cocoa, and sleeping. In addition, she also likes nature, art, photography, and culture. She’s a very simple person that likes to live in the moment and to be free.  She hopes to one day become a successful writer and a world class traveler.
Currently coursing their third year in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus; Agnes Sastre enjoys to write and manage art projects like Fractal Puerto Rico.They are very passionate about the arts and encouraging it as a way of expression and healing. As an English Major, Agnes enjoys to read and it wouldn't be odd to find them at a bookstore. It would also be quite common to find them eating pizza, having passionate arguments about their favorite artist or series and occasionally playing Pókemon Go.