Life > Academics

The 6 Classes You Should Take Before Graduating UPRRP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Get ready to embark on the ultimate academic adventure of your life, because today we’re spilling the beans on the six electrifying classes you must ABSOLUTELY take before donning that cap and gown at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras (UPRRP)! From mind-bending courses that’ll challenge your intellect, to eye-opening experiences that’ll redefine your collegiate journey, I’ve curated the ultimate checklist to ensure you graduate with a bang! So, grab your notebooks, sharpen your pencils, and let’s dive headfirst into the thrilling world of UPRRP’s must-have classes! 

Class 1: Feminine Writings 

Picture this: you, surrounded by a band of fearless literary explorers, all eager to delve deep into the mesmerizing worlds crafted by female authors who defied societal norms and paved the way for literary revolution! In this course, you’ll crack open the spine of books by iconic wordsmiths like Emily Brontë and Mary Shelley, and let me tell you, it’s going to be one wild, unforgettable ride!

This class is part of the “Women & Gender” Program at the General Studies Faculty and it is not just about dissecting great literature, it’s about embracing the feminist spirit that flows through the pages of these remarkable books. You’ll explore themes of identity, independence, and the unbreakable bonds of sisterhood, all while celebrating the resilience and brilliance of female authors who broke through barriers in their time. 

Class 2: Spanish Baroque Literature

Taking a Spanish Baroque Literature course is an invitation to dive beneath the surface of classic Spanish works. While you may already be familiar with Cervantes’ iconic “Don Quixote,” this course will allow you to explore the layers of symbolism, social commentary, and intricate storytelling that often go unnoticed. You’ll gain a deeper appreciation for the brilliance of Cervantes and his contemporaries as you dissect their works with a critical eye. The Spanish Baroque period was a time of immense transformation, both in literature and society. This course acts as a time machine, transporting you back to an era characterized by exploration, intellectual fervor, and cultural upheaval. By studying the literature of the Spanish Baroque, you’ll gain insight into the historical, political, and cultural context that shaped these literary masterpieces. 

Class 3: Calligraphy

Are you tired of typing away on your keyboard and feeling disconnected from the art of writing? Ready to dive into an enchanting world where every stroke of a pen is a brushstroke of elegance and creativity? Look no further! The Calligraphy course is here to infuse your life with a dash of ink-spired elegance! The Calligraphy course at UPRRP isn’t just about aesthetics, it’s also a journey of mindfulness and tranquility. As you immerse yourself in the graceful movements of calligraphy, you’ll find that it’s a form of meditation, a way to escape the chaos of the world and find inner peace. This course is part of the “beautiful jobs” (Bellos Oficios, BEOF) Faculty, which also offers an extensive variety of courses such as Ceramics and Macrame. At this Faculty, Calligraphy is not just a skill, it’s a state of mind—a place where you can find serenity in every stroke.

Class 4: Puerto Rican Literature & Cultural Nationalism 

Cultural nationalism isn’t just a buzzword in this course, it’s a way of life. You’ll delve into the works of authors who were unapologetically proud of their Puerto Rican heritage and used their words to ignite cultural pride and resilience. This course from the Faculty of General Studies is an invitation to embrace the spirit of cultural nationalism and understand how literature played a pivotal role in shaping the island’s identity. As you explore Puerto Rican literature, you’ll uncover cultural treasures that are as diverse and rich as the island itself. From the magical realism of Esmeralda Santiago to the revolutionary verses of Julia de Burgos, you’ll discover how literature has been a powerful tool for expressing Puerto Rican identity and aspirations. It’s like digging for hidden gems in a literary treasure chest!

Class 5: Gender Debates

Ever wondered why gender matters, how it shapes societies, or why it’s such a hot topic? The Gender Debates course isn’t just a class, it’s your passport to understanding the complex interplay of gender, identity, and power. Break free from societal molds and dive headfirst into spirited debates that challenge norms, perceptions, and preconceptions. This class is part of the “Women & Gender” Program at the General Studies Faculty, so here you won’t be a passive observer, you’ll be a vocal participant in discussions that matter. It’s where your opinions are valued and your voice gets louder! Engage in lively dialogues, share your insights, and learn from a diverse group of peers who bring their unique perspectives to the table.

Class 6: Gender Sexuality Writing 

This course is also part of the “Women & Gender” Program at the General Studies Faculty. In this course, you’ll delve into the works of Sigmund Freud, the father of psychoanalysis. You’ll explore the fascinating realm of the unconscious, dreams, and the way our brain processes concepts of gender and sexuality. Get ready to embark on an intellectual odyssey that will expand your understanding of the human psyche! 

The Graduation Grand Finale

So there you have it, folks, the six classes that will electrify your UPRRP journey and send you off into the world with a bang! Whether you’re pondering the mysteries of the universe, feasting on global delights, or mastering the art of laughter, these courses will ensure your academic adventure ends on a high note. Remember, graduation isn’t just about getting a degree, it’s about embracing knowledge, seeking new horizons, and having a blast along the way. So, don’t wait – enroll in these classes and make your UPRRP graduation a truly unforgettable experience! 

Adriana Quiles is junior at the University of Puerto Rico Recinto de Río Piedras. She's very passionate about female empowerment and feels that Her Campus is her ideal outlet to talk about topics that matter to her and to all women.