Shaping the world one experience at a time…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

As Marian Wright expressed “You really can change the world if you care enough”

Ever wonder what you, as a college student, can do to change the world? If you are alone in this working quest for a better world?

Stay calm, my friend, because AIESEC is here to help.

It was founded after World War II, by a group of young people with the mission of peace and achievement of human kind by providing cross-cultural experiences. It is present in over 123 countries, 2,400 universities and have more than 70,000 active members worldwide. In 1968, it was founded in Puerto Rico at our own Río Piedras Campus.

The organization believes that the key to transform the world is encouraging the youth, our future leaders. By providing a cross cultural challenging experience, people start understanding the world and therefore, changing it. Because the video “Why we do what we do” states, “History has shown us what just one great leader can do, so imagine what a million great leaders could do?” Therefore, AIESEC works every day to develop leadership skills in young people to construct a world where they are not needed.

According to the past president of the Río Piedras Committe, Emmanuel Cepeda, the most fullfiling part is to develop others and change their lives while contributing to the university. The current president, Nicole Rodriguez, expressed: “It is our time to offer development to young leaders who are conscious about what is happening in Puerto Rico, and around the World, and are ready to start impacting and improving our society.”

This young group dedicates their time to provide volunteer experiences to anyone ages 18 to 29. Students would embark in a trip to places like Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile and Argentina to impact a community or non-profit organization in a certain project. Projects can range topics such as Education, Social Labor and Business Administration.

The Río Piedras Local Committee is not separate from this mission. Last year, AIESEC Río Piedras provided more than 70 life experiences.

Several Gallitos, embarked on a trip to Impact Latin America by giving classes, helping nonprofit with marketing or giving workshops of different topics. One of those students is Lianne Semidey who volunteered at Colombia and expressed “My experience as a volunteer has been one of the most gratifying experiences in my life. All the people I met have changed my life… everything that I saw in some way has changed me for good and for that I will always thank AIESEC, my kids and Colombia.”

AIESEC may be led by students but it has a genuine mission and provides a bright future. Ready to change the world?

If you want more information on how to volunteer with AIESEC or join the team, visit their facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/aiesecpuertorico/?fref=ts or attend one of their many info-sessions. 

Veronica is currently a student in the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus. She is double majoring in Accounting and Political Science. Veronica loves to read, cook, travel and learn about new cultures.