Wellness > Mental Health

Self-Sabotage: How To Recognize It and How To Let It Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Let’s talk about the number one enemy of trying new things and being successful at it: self-sabotage.

I am not proud to admit that I have considered myself the queen of self-sabotage at some point in my life. Sometimes I’m debating whether I should take back the throne or not. Don’t worry, I’m fully aware that I shouldn’t.

Since I do not have a portable mental dictionary, I did some research to write this article for you. I’ll try my best to not turn it into an info-dump of boredom.

The folks at Positive Psychology found that “self-sabotage occurs when we destroy ourselves physically, mentally, or emotionally or deliberately hinder our own success and wellbeing by undermining personal goals and values.”

Photo by Adrian Swancar on Unsplash

Perhaps the word “destroy” is a bit strong, but it does make sense. When we self-sabotage, we tend to wedge an obstacle in between ourselves and the goal we want to achieve. It doesn’t even have to be a huge goal; it can be a simple habit such as not scrolling through social media the moment we wake up. I speak from experience that it isn’t a good habit; it can easily ruin my mood first thing in the morning.

An example of self-sabotage can be: procrastinating when you’re supposed to be working on an assignment or on achieving a specific goal, and not turning something in because it isn’t “perfect” yet. It’s stopping ourselves from doing something important because it feels overwhelming or too big of a project to tackle, and, as a result, we end up not doing anything.

GORxHGFh xJvxc DTAdj3MEFRfEHPlUPWQPdvIKMhUMJhvkULSQhOb3ilYQZRBh2r2tgGa0yDETNzTvgP4a BB6I1

Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash

The people that suffer the consequences of self-sabotage are ourselves. How many years have you looked back on your January goals and thought “I wish I hadn’t given up” or, “I regret never starting this”. We can become our worst enemies if we don’t become aware and tackle the big obstacle of self-sabotage.

But, how do we work on this? In one sentence, Psychology Today sums it up: “Documenting and analyzing behavior is a key component of preventing self-sabotage.”

Photo by Content Pixie on Unsplash

It all starts with introspection. Yes, that means diving into yourself and getting to the root of why you do it in the first place. Everyone will have a different answer, and ways of dealing with their self-sabotaging tendencies. Self-reflection is a vital part of solving the problems within. You can write to figure out why you self-sabotage, talk to someone about it (a professional, as in, a therapist), or simply take note of your habits and the moments where you resist doing what you told yourself to do.  

Once you have the reason as to why you self-sabotage, you can find a way to work on it and improve. Most people need help with their self-discipline. I did, for a long time, and little by little I’m making progress with it. This may be the time to create  a system (a step-by-step plan of sorts) of rewarding yourself whenever you achieve one of your goals, having an accountability partner, or setting boundaries with yourself (e.g: money-spending boundaries, phone screen time boundaries, etc.). 

It’s really important that you set an intention or a purpose as to why you want to stop this self-sabotaging behavior that keeps you from doing things that you know are good for you. Whenever you are tempted to fall off track, remember the why.

With that said, I want to tell you to believe in yourself, and trust yourself to get you out of this self-sabotaging cycle. You are the person that will ultimately get you the life that you want. I’m not saying it’ll be a piece of cake, because you will have to put in effort to achieve it, but that’s what makes it all worth it.

Lots of Love,

LYA 🤎

Sources:

Dr. Chris Wilson at Positive Psychology

Psychology Today

Lilliana Correa Garcia is a wellness and experience writer at the Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. She focuses on topics such as mental health, self love and having the best college experience even if it may be an unusual one. She also adds a bit of her hobbies such as books and creative endeavors to her storytelling. Beyond Her Campus, Lilliana works as a Jr. Executive at Rosado Toledo& where she helps maintain a clear communication between brands and the agency and makes sure the clients’ needs are being met on a daily basis. She has worked as a freelance social media manager for small businesses such as restaurants and hair salons. She interned in the advertising agency previously mentioned which opened the doors for her to join the team part time. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. In her free time, Lilliana enjoys indulging herself in fantasy novels and woking on a draft of her current novel. She also loves visiting coffee shops around her area to spend time catching up with her friends. She’s a whole hearted Swiftie and is committed to learn every single song by heart.