On the run? Here are 5 quick and easy ways for healthy snacking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Being a college student can be stressful and we tend to be in a hurry.  We’re in such a rush that we don’t have time for extravagant meals. These are some quick, easy, and healthy snacks that you can make to keep that tummy happy!

1.  Chicken Burrito

Who doesn’t love a delicious burrito? You know the chunk chicken that comes in a can? Well, it’s perfect for this chicken dip I’m about to tell you:  Mix the chicken in a bowl with mayo and cream cheese; you can add some spices if you like but that’s up to you. After that is super mixed, place your soft tortilla in a warm pan (not too warm, we don’t want to burn our tortilla) and cover it with grated cheese until it melts. Take the tortilla off the pan and fill it with the chicken mix, you can add whatever your tummy desires like lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, onions, and just wrap that up. If you want your burrito crunchier you can place it in the pan for just a few seconds. The whole process won’t take you more than 10 minutes and after you eat it you’ll worship this amazing combination.

2. Homemade Salad

Yes! That’s right! A salad! Salads can be so yummy if you mix it up with your favorite fruits and veggies. Our basic ingredient is lettuce, you chop it up in small pieces, add some spinach (Popeye’s favorite), carrots, olives, corn, onions whichever is your favorite. Of course we can’t forget about fruits! Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries (all kinds of berries), grapes, cucumber, avocados, tomatoes (yes, these last two are indeed fruits). Tip: Mixing your favorites with your not so favorites will make it easier to eat. If you still aren’t convinced, add some dressing of your choice and you will totally adore your salad.

3.  Fruity Smoothie

Who doesn’t love fruits? Well make sure to include this on your next shopping list: Greek yogurt (non-fat) and your favorites fruits (frozen, this way we don’t have to use ice).  Look for that dusty blender you keep on the back of your shelf and use it to create a snack you won’t regret. If you’re making a two person serving then add ½ a cup of yogurt, select with your friend 2 fruits and add a cup of each fruit and finally, depending, on your preference add 1 or 1 ½ cups of juice and let the blender do its magic. Voilá! You have a refreshing, drinkable, and healthy snack.

4.  Tortilla Pinwheels

This is probably perfect for that late night snack you crave when you’re studying for that horrible test you have the next day. You’ll be needing soft tortillas, cheese, and ham. Of course, it can be any king of ham: there’s roasted honey, chicken, turkey, etc. For the cheese you can use sliced cheese or even cream cheese. This can be done in 4 easy steps: (1)Fill it up, if it’s with cream cheese spread it over the soft tortilla and put the ham on top, if it’s with the sliced cheese then put the slices and the ham and cheese again or vice versa. (2) Roll it up, roll the tortilla into a nice tight tube. (3) Carefully slice it into small pieces. (4) Enjoy!

5.   Banana Fluffernutter

If you’re a peanut butter lover then you’ll probably love this.  It’s also the fastest one yet. You just need 3 ingredients: banana, marshmallow cream, and peanut butter. On a bowl, mix up 1 ½ tablespoons of marshmallow crème and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, then peel your banana and cut it through the middle. The last thing is to spread that marshmallow and peanut butter mix in one side of the banana and place on the top the other half. Bon Appétit.