Recap: Society for Human Resources Management’s Awards Ceremony!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The 40th SHRM Puerto Rico Annual Convention was held at the Hotel Conquistador in Fajardo this past September 22nd. Our very own Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) from the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Chapter was highly recognized during the award ceremony.

The welcome and activity was hosted by the Student Representative in the Board of SHRM Puerto Rico, Agüeybana Del Valle and by Team Leader for SHRM Student Council, Beatriz Cruz. After a very warming greeting, the College Relation Share in PR, Irwing Vargas, introduced himself, and gave a concise speech about how the chapters in Puerto Rico are the most distinguished in the U.S. He also provided one of his own quotes “I did not spend time with you, I invest time in you” in connotation of when professionals answer or give advice to students who are learning as they do internships, mentorships or work in their respective companies. Tara Fournier, the Manager Engagement in SHRM, was next in the podium and affirmed to the crowd: “Puerto Rico has the most strongest and dedicated chapters in the nation”. Also reflected that half of the workforce in the next 7 years will be “millennium” workers, and the Human Resources profession will increase by 21%. She also invited the chapters to attend the Regional Case Competition held by SHRM, since Puerto Rico has never participated in such, were winning chapters get prices from $2,000 and up.

Miss Fournier herself gave the awards, recognizing the different chapters from all across the island. The Merit Awards are honors that are given to the associations from the completion of tasks, which are calculated in form of points, from their work plan given by SHRM. The acknowledgments were given in ascending numerical order.

The Merit Award was given to University of Puerto Rico, Ponce Chapter.

The Superior Merit Award was achieved by University of Puerto Rico, Aguadilla, Mayagüez and Río Piedras Chapters.

The Runner up Outstanding Merit Award was accomplished by University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Chapter.

The Outstanding Superior Merit Award was granted to the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Chapter, which was the highest achievement from all the chapters in Puerto Rico and are among the best ten chapters in the nation.

Also, some of our student members gained prices and mentoring programs by answering correctly trivia questions and by participating in fun dynamics held at the ceremony. Kevin Bultrón, Isabel Luciano, José Santiago and Michelle Lugo were recognized for their hard work. The Member of the Year Award from Río Piedras Chapter, was awarded to this year’s 2013-2014 SHRM UPR-RP Student Chapter President, Arnaldo Navarro, for his outstanding member performance for his participation, commitment, and encouragement in the 2012-2013 campaign.    

*The pictures were taken from: 

Raisa Acloque’s Page

Student at the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus. Finance and marketing major and also a soccer player at the university
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!