Wellness > Health

My Experience Using A Menstrual Cup: Everything You Need To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Like many of you, I had always believed there were only two options for dealing with periods: sanitary pads and tampons. However, that’s not the case! Let me share with you how the menstrual cup has truly transformed my life.

The subject of menstrual cups isn’t exactly mainstream, but one day a friend suggested I rethink my period products, and I took their advice. My first move was to gather information.

Now, I’m sharing some helpful insights that helped me get acquainted with menstrual cups.

What is a menstrual cup?

A menstrual cup is a small bell-shaped container with a little stem on the end. Made of medical-grade silicone, latex, or rubber. They are reusable, easy to clean, and can last for up to 10 years.

39EAhMj2d1wnBVc1iRz8dWp8sUCKs wVpeC7vk1rB8x50xyC3tG9nhDZWt S0fttCGoiFubYbyJ1

How is it used?

According to CNN, “Menstrual cups are inserted into the vagina when menstruating, and fluid is collected in a cup, rather than absorbed. Cups should usually be emptied every six hours but can last longer.”  

Size matters!

It’s important to highlight that the menstrual cup comes in different sizes:

• Small (1): Ideal for teenagers and first-time users with a light menstrual flow.
  • Medium (2): Recommended for individuals aged 18 and above with a moderate menstrual flow.
  • Large (3): Designed for individuals that are over 30 years old with a heavy menstrual flow or who have given birth.

In my case, I explored different options and eventually opted for the most cost-effective choice (just in case I had second thoughts). I ended up purchasing the Walgreens Menstrual Cup in medium size.

Let’s get some practice in!

Initially, it might all seem a bit daunting, but don’t be afraid to dive in! It’s important to have faith in the process.

1. To start off, I suggest placing your cup in a container that can handle heat. That way, by pouring in some hot water and letting it soak, you’ll ensure that it’s properly disinfected. 

2. From my own experience, I find it most comfortable to insert and remove the menstrual cup while in the shower.

3. If you encounter difficulty inserting it, you can opt for a water-based or plant-based lubricant. Pixie Lube is one of my top choices. Alternatively, if you don’t have it readily available, you can use natural coconut oil, but try not to rely on it too often as it could potentially reduce the lifespan of your cup.

4. Now, I’ll explain the two most effective methods for folding the cup to make insertion easier:

• The “U” or “C” fold: This is the most popular way to fold a menstrual cup. Press the sides together to flatten the cup, then bring the edges together to form a U or C shape before inserting it. Once inserted, rotate the cup from its base so it can unfold and conform to the walls of your vagina.

• The Punch-down fold: With one hand, grip the cup and push the outer edge of the opening towards the inside, then bring the remaining edges together to maintain its shape. This approach provides a slightly narrower insertion point, beneficial for those who find the previous method difficult.

9HqFlSnoNDQX57y2A hKSq11oHYG7HJB0JXHgNCRtLc8xd OgRFSJkgymA0BCZgGOHYsRWTLYfV8pHd1LLtUNUQOAU6oLbfuE9QY90WMocZqtsz4QT4H3sgUyAVpYc9AFKOryZ3SIpS IOl WnjHWC4

In my opinion, the punch down fold always works best for me. It’s the easiest to insert and gives me better control when positioning it.

5. The most vital step after insertion is giving the cup a gentle twist. This ensures that it’s fully open and creates the necessary seal to prevent any leaks.

6. As a precaution during the initial adjustment phase, I suggest using a panty liner to enhance comfort and confidence.

7. As you become more familiar with your menstrual cup, you’ll determine how often you need to empty it. Personally, I find once a day to be sufficient. If I insert it in the morning, I empty it during my afternoon shower.

8. After removal, it’s essential to disinfect the cup as outlined in step 1. For regular cleaning after each use, I rinse it with water and occasionally wash it with mild castile soap. Never skip the boiling step, it’s crucial!

9. Once your period is over, you can store the cup in a fabric pouch until the next month.

Lastly, it’s fundamental to know about all the perks of using the menstrual cup

Benefits of the Menstrual Cup: 

1. Wallet friendly: A single reusable cup, priced at $20 to $40, can endure for a decade, in stark contrast to the ongoing expenses of pads and tampons. This translates to significant long-term savings and a reduction in landfill waste.
        1. Eco Friendly: Switching to menstrual cups can significantly reduce plastic waste and water usage. Studies suggest that using one cup for over 10 years generates only a fraction of the plastic waste produced by single-use pads or tampons. Additionally, menstrual cups require minimal water, making them environmentally friendly, particularly in arid areas, according to CNN.
        1. Zero smell: The menstrual cup’s ability to create an airtight seal reduces odor by preventing menstrual blood from being exposed to air. Unlike with sanitary pads, where blood mixes with oxygen and chemical components, potentially altering the pH balance, this issue doesn’t arise with the use of a menstrual cup.
        1. Save time: You can wear menstrual cups for 8 to 12 hours, unlike tampons that require changing every 4 to 5 hours based on your flow. Additionally, menstrual cups have a higher capacity, holding approximately 1 ounce of liquid, roughly double the amount of a super absorbent tampon or pad.
        1.  Let’s go swimming: You can swim confidently with a menstrual cup, unlike with tampons, which can absorb water through the string while swimming. Additionally, exposure to chlorinated or salt water should not affect the silicone material of the cup. 

Before wrapping up, in case you still have doubts, there are a few points I want to emphasize:

• No, the menstrual cup won’t come out.
        • No, it won’t stretch your vagina.
        • No, your periods aren’t too heavy to use a cup.
        • No, you don’t have to replace it every year.
        • No, the cup won’t feel uncomfortable. You shouldn’t even be able to feel it if it is inserted correctly.
        • No, the menstrual cup won’t get lost inside you.
        • No, being a virgin doesn’t mean you can’t use the cup. Of course you can.
        • No, if you lie down, the blood won’t flow back into your body.
        • No, using a menstrual cup is not gross. On the contrary, it is more hygienic.
        • No, you shouldn’t overthink it, just make the change now!

Don’t expect perfection on your first try. If you encounter setbacks, stay resilient, keep practicing, and you’ll never regret it.

Discovering menstrual cups transformed my period routine, offering sustainability, comfort, and cost-effectiveness. From selecting the right size to mastering insertion techniques, each step gave me newfound confidence. Embracing imperfection, I persevered, knowing each attempt brought mastery closer. The cup isn’t just a product; it’s a symbol of empowerment and liberation in menstrual care.

Milyarielix Dávila Vélez is a writer for Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. Simultaneously, she is completing her bachelor's degree in journalism and public relations at the University of Puerto Rico Río Piedras Campus. She likes to write and share about her experiences and knowledge so that readers learn new things and maybe even identify with some of her stories! Beyond Her Campus, Milyarielix works in customer service. She loves talking to everyone and exchanging ideas which helps her to be more creative and analytical. In addition, she is part of The National Association of Hispanic Journalists and the Association of University Publicists and Public Relations. Some of Milyarielix's hobbies are participating in workshops that encourage professional and personal growth. She also enjoys activities like beach cleaning, bird watching, road trips, and going thrifting to find hidden gems. She is a lover of animals and dreams of becoming a rescuer one day, meanwhile, she helps non-profit organizations that are dedicated to saving the lives of abandoned animals. She is passionate about fashion and hanging out with her friends, but most of all she will make sure to always have a good time no matter what!