This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Simon says: this is that cheesy high school movie you have been waiting for your entire life.

Her Campus was invited by the lovely staff of The Bookmark at San Patricio to attend an early screening of Love, Simon, and let me tell you that it was definitely fulfilling—to the point where I feel like I need to see it five hundred more times.

The movie explores a lot of the themes that made the book a definite hit, but it also builds off of that and ventures into different directions that the book might not have had. Furthermore, do not fret because considering this was an early screening, there will be no spoilers in this review.

While it did have its flaws as an adaptation, the movie was wonderfully executed, still highlighting the most important aspects of the novel. As mentioned in our previous Love, Simon article, this movie is based on the book Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by award-winning author Becky Albertalli. I would definitely rather review this piece as a film instead of the book-to-movie adaptation that it was, but, to get it out of the way, I had read the book a very long time ago. This means I do not remember a lot of the details, just the overall plot. However, I did have friends with me at the screening that remembered a broad amount of details from the book and classified it as a good movie, but “the book was better.” This is a common reaction, especially with a book as loved as this one. Nevertheless, this movie deserves to be loved and it is loved. If you’re looking for that warm, home-y type feeling you felt while reading Simon, you will find it.

While the question that was begged to ask in our other “Movie Monday” was whether it would be the best book-to-movie adaptation of 2018, I will say—considering how it took the general story of Simon Spier and made it its own while still respecting the original text—it was made perfectly for film. The changes that were made felt necessary for the cinematic experience. You feel for Simon and the rest of the characters that grace the screen. I found myself sympathizing with characters I didn’t get the chance to do so with the book. Plus, the pop culture references and little Easter eggs were honestly the best!

As well, a lot of my favorite details from the book were definitely present. The actors delivered a lot more than I was hoping for (especially the adults). The setting did not seem overdone or cliché (considering it is a story set in high school). The dialogue fits well with the plot and helped it move forward, even though I would have eliminated some things that just were unnecessary and did the opposite for the plot (but they got a good laugh from the small crowd gathered).

As of now, it has been well-received by the lucky few that have been able to see it. My favorite reaction was that of singer Troye Sivan, who is part of the movie’s official soundtrack.

Overall, it was fantastic! My crying count reached six cries. Simon and his reactions, emotions, feelings, and his everything definitely get to you! Therefore, I think it’s safe to say that I loved it, and I really hope you guys do too. Also, I would love for the producers of this movie (that also produced The Fault in our Stars) to revamp my bedroom because they create the best rooms for these teenage protagonists.

The release date for Puerto Rico’s cinemas is April 12th. If you have yet to hear about the movie or see any of the trailers, this should be the only one you watch because it leaves a lot of the movie out, so you’ll still be surprised without knowing too much!

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.