Movie Monday: “Love, Simon” Might Be the Best Book-to-Movie Adaptation of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

If there is a shortage of Oreos at your local grocery store, supermarket, commercial pharmacy, or wherever you get your stash-worthy cookies, it might just be because Love, Simon is coming out in theaters real soon. The movie is set for March 16, 2018, but that hasn’t stopped fans of the novel from freaking out and fangirling, or fanboying, from the moment of announcement to production to now. The film is a book-to-movie adaptation, as the title of this article suggests, based on the Contemporary novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

If you haven’t heard of it, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is the highly acclaimed and award-winning novel by author (queen) Becky Albertalli. It falls within the Young Adult genre which is why you might notice that it has a very enthusiastic following. Essentially, it’s about a young boy in High School that has yet to come out to his friends or family. He doesn’t really like drama in general—unless it’s in a musical—but all that changes when his secret email correspondence with a mystery guy who goes by the name of Blue is used to blackmail Simon by class clown Martin. This forces Simon to step out of his comfort zone faster than he expected or risk being outed.

The movie will be following the same plotline that has readers and media writers that attended an early screening of the film contempt with the result. Fans and critics alike are already saying that it might just be one of the best movies we will be getting in 2018.

If you need more convincing as to why you should read the book and watch the movie, here is your enthusiasm starter pack:

The Cast

The cast for this movie is insane! First off, we have Nick Robinson; he’s been in great hits such as Jurassic World (as Zach), Everything Everything (as Olly), the 5th Wave (as Ben Parish), and you’ve got to love him from his role as cute Ryder in Melissa & Joey, among others. Other than him, you’ve got Katherine Langford, Jennifer Garner, Josh Duhamel, Colton Haynes, Keiynan Lonsdale, Miles Heizer, Alexandra Shipp, Logan Miller, and so much more!

Diversity

Everybody deserves to have their story told, and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda does just that. Love, Simon follows closely behind its bookish muse, promising to be what this generation is looking for diversity and representation. The movie has a gay protagonist that is dealing with first love, struggling friendships, family drama, and blackmail. It’s your typical coming-of-age story (minus the blackmail), but instead of the usual boy-meets-girl scenario, we’re getting a largely promoted boy-meets-boy love story.

The Promotional Team

The people promoting the film need a well-deserved congratulation because they’re treating this book and its adaptation with the love, respect, and importance that it most certainly deserves. From the quirky references of the openly in-your-face fact that the protagonist is a gay male to the flawless trailer, they are going all out on getting this movie out there and making sure that everyone knows this is a thing, it’s beautiful, and it needs to be witnessed because everyone deserves a great love story.

What are you waiting for? Get yourself a copy of the book, buy your Oreos to sneak into the theater, and get your tickets because you won’t want to miss this.

Love, Josie

Image credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5.

Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Josie is a senior in the UPR-Río Piedras campus, majoring in English Literature. When she's not on campus, you can find her browsing a bookstore (as if her TBR pile isn't big enough already!). Books and writing are what drives this girl--apart from fighting to destigmatize mental illnesses and raising awareness about the importance of consent. Josie enjoys traveling, bingeing on spicy food and a lot of sweets, blasting Bieber, and adding shows or movies to her Netflix queue that she'll never get to. Josie is a junior editor for the Rio Piedras chapter in Puerto Rico. If you want to see what else Josie is up to, you can catch her on her bookstagram.